Sheepshead Bay Legend Captain Al Coley

Started by Newell Nut, July 31, 2014, 10:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

Captain Al just turned 81 and is pictured with the custom rod that I built for him with marbled colors to represent fish colors of all the species he may have caught in his career. Not sure how many more years he will be with us but I have certainly enjoyed the privilege of fishing with Al for the past two years.

Shark Hunter

He looks like he is enjoying it Dwight! ;D
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

You're right Daron, look at that face. I hope I'm as happy as he is while holding fishing gear at 81, God bless him. 
I've seen that photo before you guys and told Dwight that he needs to put it up here.
I could talk to that young man all day, I bet we could all learn a few things from him.
Happy Birthday Captain Al, and many many more.
Sal

Thanks for posting Dwight, nice job on that rod ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

Al has seen more and caught more fish than I will ever see and it is nice hearing about his bag of tricks from all those great fishing years. The videos of his tuna fishing days are amazing and we watch them on the boat TV on every trip. The only reason he is still with us is that he is extremely tough spirited and refuses to let anything stop him from fishing.

broadway

Dwight,  I didn't know you were a Brooklyn boy? It's always good to see an Ole' Sharpie with an ear to ear smile at 81.  I bet he's smiling because he knows he's about to win the pool on that head boat.
I've eaten at that restaurant in the background (can't remember the name) a few times, but it often smells a little fishy to eat outside when the boats get back. Do you build rods locally? I'm thinking of having (2) 7' spoon rods made from Lamiglas BT-108-3M blanks cut down. Was thinking maybe a couple inches off the tip and the rest off the back side. Whatcha think... does that make any sense?  I have an old sharpie I used to fish with that has 2 rods made just like I mentioned and they kill the bass. Most people including myself go with the 8" or 9" rods, but I've caught more bass on his sensitive tipped Lami blanks than my 8" seekers ???
PS- by the looks of his neckless he's what I'd consider an ole' salt. All the best to Al and I'm sure he's honored by your admiration for him.
Thanks
Dom

bluefish69

Al was one of the sharpest Captains in Sheepshead Bay. I first met him in the early 80's a few times. The Bay was never my thing & I fished L.I.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Newell Nut

Quote from: broadway on August 01, 2014, 02:33:00 AM
Dwight,  I didn't know you were a Brooklyn boy? It's always good to see an Ole' Sharpie with an ear to ear smile at 81.  I bet he's smiling because he knows he's about to win the pool on that head boat.
I've eaten at that restaurant in the background (can't remember the name) a few times, but it often smells a little fishy to eat outside when the boats get back. Do you build rods locally? I'm thinking of having (2) 7' spoon rods made from Lamiglas BT-108-3M blanks cut down. Was thinking maybe a couple inches off the tip and the rest off the back side. Whatcha think... does that make any sense?  I have an old sharpie I used to fish with that has 2 rods made just like I mentioned and they kill the bass. Most people including myself go with the 8" or 9" rods, but I've caught more bass on his sensitive tipped Lami blanks than my 8" seekers ???
PS- by the looks of his neckless he's what I'd consider an ole' salt. All the best to Al and I'm sure he's honored by your admiration for him.
Thanks
Dom
I am not a Brooklyn Boy, I am American by birth and a southerner by the Grace of God.  ;D
Captain Al retired to Florida and this is where we met. As far as rods go, the factory specs mean one thing and what you feel or like to feel is totally different.  If you want to fish live bait with a jig rod for example then do it if it feels right to you. I like soft tip Seekers with fast action and a lot of backbone for mangrove snapper fishing. Captain Al hates a fast tip anything. He believes all rods should be parabolic or they are worthless. So if you want to cut a tip or butt to get what you like then it can be done. It is all about you and what you like. It may take me 6 months to get all the boat rods rebuilt so my time is limited on making rods. After the boat rods are done I will do more custom work.

The restaurant in the background is the Dolphin View in New Smyrna. Captain Al used to win the fish jackpot so much that people complained enough that he quit getting in. He just fishes for fun now and his back is not up to big fish any more unless he can hook them near the surface.

Dominick

Great thread.  Great photo.  I love the belt buckle.  It could use some Alan Tani treatment.  :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Big Tim

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Pretty Cool. Except for the part where the guys were walking on the fish. I bet that smelled nice. ::)
Life is Good!

LI Guy

I just noticed this post. A.C looks pretty good in that pic. Not many could put you on the meat like Al. At the three min. mark in the video you can see another old time fixture on the piers, Harry Ostrow, the bay's official photographer.

Newell Nut

Thanks for posting the movie. Al plays these on the Pastime Princess TV when we are riding out. You should see his tuna fishing trips which are truly amazing with a catch of 500 tuna in a day. What a wild and bloody mess on the boat. He always points out he guy that caught 13 that day and died of a heart attach 3 days later. Some of you may know Mike Wallin or Mike the Mailman that captained with Al on the tuna trips. Mike retired down here too and runs the draw bridge on week days in New Smyrna.

After seeing Als Calcutta gaffs I built a couple for the Pastime to remind him of the good ole days.

floating doc

I only fished once out of Sheepshead bay, in 1982. We went out on an all-night bluefish chumming trip; when I came back in my car had been stolen.  :(  Pretty typical event, from what I was told. It wasn't easy to get back to the racetrack in time for work.

I got the car back eventually, but I lost some gear out of the trunk, including my Johnson 10 horse.

Since I was working at the Meadowlands, I didn't need to take the NY boats, so after that most of my trips were out of Sandy Hook or Belmar. Occasionally we would go up to fish LI Sound for blackfish in the winter, and I made a few trips out to Montauk.

Thanks for posting the video; it really takes me back. Despite the bad surprise when we came in, it was a great night of fishing!
Central Florida

bluefish69

Doc

It's not as Wild & Wooly as it used to be. Back in the 60's it was really bad. I have been working in Sheepshead Bay since '08 & haven't heard of cars missing.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.