More 12/0's

Started by Shark Hunter, August 04, 2014, 06:00:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Yes, If there is any play in that rivet. I pitch it.
You got me second guessing myself now John. Usually just a very thin spacer is all that is needed, but this one needed a little more.
The stepped portion of the shaft has me thinking I should replace it.
This is the normal shim I use.
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

That one looks fine to me.  I suppose 0.2-0.4 (mm) total thickness on shimming here should be fine?

Looks like with the thicker dog(s) a >0.005" (>0.127mm) shim might be a good thing in more ways then one.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

That's what has me worried. That last reel I did, The washer was way thicker. I'm talking .080! :o
Sal, I'm not trying to argue, just wanted to show you a little something. Lee's dog.

Stock dog.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Tightlines666 on August 05, 2014, 02:15:22 AM
That one looks fine to me.  I suppose 0.2-0.4 (mm) total thickness on shimming here should be fine?

Looks like with the thicker dog(s) a >0.005" (>0.127mm) shim might be a good thing in more ways then one.
You'll get away with a little thicker as well, I've been there and done that. The best location for the spacer is as Daron is showing, not on the shaft.
There is no thicker dog, unless Lee had a special run. I was one of the guys checking all the dogs that he made in the beginning and I have a few, or should I say a bunch, that are thinner, but never thicker.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 05, 2014, 04:13:33 AM
That's what has me worried. That last reel I did, The washer was way thicker. I'm talking .080! :o
Sal, I'm not trying to argue, just wanted to show you a little something. Lee's dog.

Stock dog.

Daron, you can argue with me, I can take it...I'm a big boy.
This is about us trying to give the correct information as best as we can and it's never personal.
Here are mine:

It is a good idea to use new dogs when comparing, yours might be worn a bit. Also, that last number on the right doesn't really mean much, unless we're brain surgeons ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Aiala

Who let the dogs out??   ;D  (Sorry, I couldn't resist... ahem.)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

floating doc

As an aside, I've told Lee that he doesn't charge enough.
Central Florida

Shark Hunter

The ones I showed, just came yesterday. Its the last of the long 12/0 ones he had. I was completely out.
They will work great when Tom's new sleeves come available. ;)

Life is Good!

Alto Mare

I wasn't talking about the new stainless steel dogs, I was talking about you comparing them to that old brass dog that you're measuring. Good to hear Lee still making deliveries.

Shark Hunter

Lee is the man! ;D
So, lets just say. Lee's stainless dogs will bring your reel back to factory specs. ;)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 05, 2014, 04:59:16 PM
Lee is the man! ;D
So, lets just say. Lee's stainless dogs will bring your reel back to factory specs. ;)

time to move on bud ;)

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!