HT100 and Brass washers

Started by johnachak, August 08, 2014, 07:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnachak

Hi all, I did a search and didn't get much on this. I see that when a leather drag with brass washers is replaced, the brass washers are replaced also with SS. Is this necessary for the HT100 to work? I'm just curious, why do we always have to change out the brass to SS? Is it for longevity or for actual functionality?

I just purchased a nice used Penn210 and It has the old leather drag. The reel is perfect otherwise, just needs lube / cleaning. I have the HT100 washers but not the stainless ones. Can I just use the old brass washers and HT100 with Cal's grease until the next service when I'll change out all washers? I am ordering a full set of washers with the metals. Anyone see anything that would make me not fish it until I get the full kit with the SS?

Shark Hunter

It will be fine with the brass ones and HT-100's.
Life is Good!

foakes

Personally, I reuse the brass drag washers with greased HT-100s -- providing they are in good condition.

Best to inspect for scoring, grooving, rough edges, etc.

If after cleaning them -- there are any issues, they do not get re-used.

A sample rebuild method would include, ultrasonic bath with purple degreaser, inspection, buffing with "0000" steel wool, another bath, then complete the drag stack with the HT-100s, Cal's drag grease, and a new HT-100 under gear washer (or Delrin).

Stainless steel is always better, more durable, and smoother -- but being practical, there is a point at which you can price yourself out of the repair and service market -- if you are servicing and repairing reels professionally.  We each need to determine that point for ourselves and ask our clients what they wish to have done.

Just my opinion.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Keta

If they are flat and not grooved the brass washers will work.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tiddlerbasher

If it ain't broke! You can always improve it $  :)

johnachak

They were smooth and were in really good shape. Normally they are not in this good condition. The leather washers weren't too bad but a couple were kind of stuck to the brass ones (Don't worry, I wouldn't re-use those anyway). Thanks for the quick answers folks!