Newell G-220 Noisy Gears

Started by russ1962, September 06, 2014, 04:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

russ1962

Guys, I have several Newells. All of them are different, like they have different personalities. Mostly P series 220, 229, 322, and 332 with one older S-229 that has both bearing cups, and one older G-220.
The oldest Newell is an original issue P-332 and the gears are so quiet that you cant hear them while cranking the handle. But the G-220 gears are very noisy and I can't figure out why. Is it because the graphite spool transfers the noise more than the aluminum spools? The S-229 is a graphite spool and is way quieter, so I'm scratching my head on this one.
The G-220 works flawlessly and I'm actually looking for another one but can't understand why it's so noisy.

Any opinions???

alantani

likely not different cuts on the gear teeth.  probably just different amounts of wear.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

More grease will help. Just because they are noisy, doesn't mean they can't be fished. ;)
Life is Good!

russ1962

Quote from: alantani on September 06, 2014, 05:16:48 AM
likely not different cuts on the gear teeth.  probably just different amounts of wear.....   :-\

That was one of my thoughts. Is it due to a different cut in the early issue gears or is it due to more wear from use?

russ1962

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 06, 2014, 05:25:58 AM
More grease will help. Just because they are noisy, doesn't mean they can't be fished. ;)

I have greased it. Still noisy.
Never any problems at all, just loud. Actually, one of my favorites.

erikpowell

DaBigOno

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

bluefish69

I just rebuilt 2- S 229's both are noisy. It keeps you awake between bites & changing baits. You can use Heaver Grease but I use Penn Grease & enjoy the sound. You can fish next to someone you don't like & Pi$$ him off.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Newell Nut

The Newell Nut says fish it till it drops. It is rare to have one noisy due to the gear not being a perfect match for the pinion but it happens. Don't worry just fish it.
If it really worries you Black Pearl will have new 5:1 gear sets next year. The first ones off the assembly line will be the 3.6 gears.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

erikpowell

I also like Mike's advice  ;D
Do that until you spring for the BP gears

russ1962

Thanks for all of the replies.!

I'm not really bothered by the noise as the reel works flawlessly every time.  But compared to all of my other ones it's noticeably loud.
I guess I could fish it at the bow just to make sure the captain stays alert!  ;D

Newell Nut

They are all unique. I have two NIB 533s that sound entirely different and both noisy. Just consider it a personality difference.

bluefish69

Russ

I could change Gears but not because of noise. If it isn't broke don't fix it.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.