Why does Grease turn color ??????

Started by RWS, November 12, 2014, 04:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RWS

Alot of Grease will turn color after being in a reel  WHY ???????
Red Grease will turn Brown / Black
Blue Grease will turn Green

foakes

Hi RWS --

Without knowing what type of reel, what conditions, and what type of grease you use -- here is a blanket opinion:

Salt water intrusion
Wrong kind of grease -- as an example, not Marine Grade when used in the salt
Reel not completely cleaned out and dry inside prior to servicing
Softer metals inside such as aluminum or pot metal grinding microscopic particles into the grease
Any rust not addressed when servicing
Oil mixing in with the grease

These are the most common -- anytime grease changes color -- it is an indicator of a past or potential problem either in the quality of the materials, construction of the reel to obstruct salt intrusion, or incorrect servicing by a previous owner or shop.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broadway

My main gear and pinion turns a darker brown if I use Cal's on the teeth, but not if I use Yamaha grease.
It just looks like it gets dirty from the carbon fiber drags, but maybe it is moisture ???
Dom

RWS

I do Musky Reels, so no saltwater just fresh water.
I use alot of different Marine greases and some will turn after a customer uses the reel. I sure it is water intrusion. I use a Ultra Sonic cleaner for the parts and the frame, so when I put back toget all parts are clean. I like red marine grease but stop using it because it turn a nasty brown. I use Triple Guard Grease and Corrision Block Grease now and they are the best at staying blue even after use. Thanks for the detailed answer. I got some Penn grease, very costly but will see how it holds up. I have been using Yamaha all purpose blue grease, but got some more and the new grease was RED and it will turn to a rust brown as soon as water is mixed with it.  :o :o