Line spooler

Started by Tiddlerbasher, August 20, 2014, 04:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

I really need to learn more about motors and PWM controllers...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

David Hall

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 16, 2015, 08:41:46 PM

Hey Bryan. I know where a real nice machine is sitting that you can use anytime so you don't really need one of your own and nice as it is and this is the nicest one I have ever seen it can't make drag drag kits for all us penn heads!

Bryan Young

Quote from: David Hall on June 16, 2015, 10:43:08 PM
Quote from: Bryan Young on June 16, 2015, 08:41:46 PM

Hey Bryan. I know where a real nice machine is sitting that you can use anytime so you don't really need one of your own and nice as it is and this is the nicest one I have ever seen it can't make drag drag kits for all us penn heads!

Hahaha, I do use it when I want or need to.  It's really strong since Jim mounted a new motor and controller...so strong that if you were to put the direction on backwards, it would definitely break the reel.  A manly line winder...lol
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

I have been thinking that what we reel guys need is for some promising entrepreneur to design a good reel spooling machine, obtain a patent, and manufacturer, then fill the gap by offering a better mousetrap at a more reasonable cost then the big boys.  I know this would be alot of work, and take some financing, but there is a need.  Its been several years since this was done with spooling machines.  Just a thought.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

PE Pete

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on June 16, 2015, 08:24:05 PM
Hi Pete & welcome!
The initial build took abot 1 1/2 weeks - a few hours a day. The refinement took months :D - I've literally just finished an upgrade to the "drive tower" to improve the adjustable mounting system. These things just evolve sometimes. I still get a buzz when somebody watches me spool their reel with hundreds of meters of line - effortlessly -  ;D Making you one could take quite a while :D

Must be a typo surely don't you mean 1 1\2 years :D
Seriously mate you could sell shed loads of them!
I'm really impressed & a bit intimidated. Thinking maybe will lookout for something second hand.
Still in awe of your inventiveness & engineering skills.
Cheers again

Fisherman Paul

I like it, gets an even lay of line, very clever.

Im going to put up a thread on line removal,
your post triggered my memory.

Tiddlerbasher

I decided it was time to strip and inspect the drag system (it's done the equivalent of many kilometres of line). I had already checked the drive system - all still good.

Comparison between used kevlar drag disc and original material. No great difference :)
This kevlar product is not like floppy "woven" kevlar (stab vests, nomex etx.) it feels more like dense cardboad. It is apparently made from compressed fibres without a resin binder. Very easy to cut with scissors, xacto knife, wad cutter - best of all NO itchy dust ;D

ss drag disc mounted on support tower

Some of the original polishing marks are still visible along with some slight scoring (after all it does live in a workshop ::))
All bearings are in good shape including the thrust bearing :)

I intend to dual-drag this beast by the addition of a similar kevlar & ss disc on the other side of the drag tower. It should provide more efficient heat distribution :-\. It will also remove the need for a thrust washer.
I was bored - no fishing - no honey can you's -nothing else to fix - I needed a challenge :D

Dominick

Tiddlerbasher thanks for reviving this thread.  I had forgotten about this post of your fine machine.  If you need a project you could build a Drag Queen for me.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tiddlerbasher

Hi Dominick I know your kind comment was probably tongue in cheek but - Most of my 'projects' rely on sourcing cheap, preferably free, offcuts. Easy for a one off (sometimes) not so easy for multiples. Everything the 'Drag Queen' does could be simulated with a large fishing reel (with a decent drag) as a drag/line source. The really important part is the motor drive - it removes the hard work of winding ;D 600 metres of 80lb braid @10lb drag is bloody hard work ;) The simplest route is to chuck-up an 8 or 10mm allen key (covered in plastic sleeving) in a drill. Clamp the drill (some how) and use it to crank the reel. All you then need is a thick plank with a reel at each end (on reel mounts of course) with the clamped drill. It is more about endevour than rocket science ;).

Alto Mare

You got lots of talent buddy, thanks for bringing some here.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on October 31, 2015, 06:30:18 PM
Hi Dominick I know your kind comment was probably tongue in cheek but - Most of my 'projects' rely on sourcing cheap, preferably free, offcuts. Easy for a one off (sometimes) not so easy for multiples. Everything the 'Drag Queen' does could be simulated with a large fishing reel (with a decent drag) as a drag/line source. The really important part is the motor drive - it removes the hard work of winding ;D 600 metres of 80lb braid @10lb drag is bloody hard work ;) The simplest route is to chuck-up an 8 or 10mm allen key (covered in plastic sleeving) in a drill. Clamp the drill (some how) and use it to crank the reel. All you then need is a thick plank with a reel at each end (on reel mounts of course) with the clamped drill. It is more about endevour than rocket science ;).
The kind comments were not tongue in cheek only the "build one for me" was.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tiddlerbasher

David Hall

Just a thought but why not greased CF drags?

Tiddlerbasher

I begged a sample of kevlar brake material from a UK company so I thought I would use that instead. The kevlar (run dry) has less start-up inertia that dry cf has. Also a greased cf disc would be open to the elements in a workshop enviroment - all the crud would stick to it :(. I did try both cf and kevlar - the performance was similar - on this application the kevlar did run slightly cooler for a given drag setting. The wonders of tribology :D

I have since run the kevlar in a couple of spinning reels. They work fine under test conditions - nice smooth drag :) Symetrical/concentric drag discs only - no ears or keyed holes - I'm not convinced that 1mm kevlar would work for that. It works fine for compressive forces not convinced about shear forces :-\

Tiddlerbasher

Sal - almost missed your post. Thanks for the kind words. As long as you guys will have me I'll keep sharing :)