15lb Red Snapper and Broken rod

Started by handi2, August 23, 2014, 11:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

Only my 2nd time fishing this year b/c of reel work and other things not letting me go. My boat and crew have been plenty of times just without me.

We anticipated chumming up some Black Snapper (Mangrove) and did catch a few but ended up with mostly Mingo Snapper and Trigger fish.

Then I had what I thought would be an Amberjack using a live Pigfish for bait. It ended up being a 15lb. Red Snapper (out of season) and a broken rod below the reel seat..! I handed the rod to my son to finish the fight. The fish had 3 old hooks in him so we doctored him up and let him go back.

I kept telling him we need a heavier rod for the Omoto Triple reel.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Marcq

handi2

Nope it broke while in the gimbal of a rod belt..
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

harryk3616

bottom line,  ( no pun intended )  you caught a reel nice fish, doctored him up and released it, nice going, like that big smile

broadway

Awesome fish Keith... glad to see ya still got him to the deck with the busted rod and all.
That snapper would've been on my dinner table, so like the Aussie's say, Good onya!
Would you have lost the fish with a little looser drag to prevent the rod from breaking?
Glad ya had a good day,
Dom

MarkT

Nice fish! My son's friend has his G.Loomis snap in that same spot on a YT.  Something about split grips?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Marcq

Quote from: handi2 on August 24, 2014, 12:38:55 AM
Nope it broke while in the gimbal of a rod belt..

At least it will be an easy fix

Nice fish

Marc..

Steve-O

Great pic!

Sorry about the rod snapping on you. I don't own any split handle rods as they look odd to me...but then, I'm odd that way.

Now you have two stories - Great fish/fishing & a broken rod to repair.

Keep 'em coming.

floating doc

That does seem like a strange place to break a rod.
Central Florida

Alto Mare

Nice fish Keith! Broken rod or not, that smile says it all. You look good buddy...very nice.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

I have that same hat! True sign of a Penn reel head! ;D
Life is Good!

SacFly

Quote from: floating doc on August 25, 2014, 06:00:30 PM
That does seem like a strange place to break a rod.

I had a rod break there one time as well.  It was a 10' surf rod, but as you said it's a strange place to break a rod.  It was a well used rod, so no manufacturer's defect.  My guess was that it was damaged in transit and when the pressure was put to it, it snapped.

Beautiful fish btw.