Sheepshead Bay Legend Captain Al Coley

Started by Newell Nut, July 31, 2014, 10:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

What is missing now is boats. Al told me there used to be 52 boats there and booked year round. We don't see too many young people on the boat here. Young people just aren't fishing but playing with I-Phones.

bluefish69

I worked on pier 6 & if you looked down to pier 1 where Al had his boat their were no passengers to be had for any boat.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

LI Guy

The Sheepshead Bay fleet was incredibly busy for many years, dating back over 100 years. The industry has changed so much that the bay is only a shadow of what it once was. The Bluefish fleet alone was probably more than 20 boats from the bay east to Captree. In the summer they were railed day and night, and this isn't counting the many Fluke and bottom fish boats. I guess the interest just isn't there these days, and that is a shame.

floating doc

Mike, I've heard how much it has changed there.  I would jump at the chance to get on a boat from any of the NY ports again.
Central Florida

bluefish69

Now there is the Flamingo in Garretsen Creek & the Brooklyn VI in Sheepshead Bay that fish for Blues & Strippers.

floating doc

Quote from: bluefish69 on August 20, 2014, 11:10:03 PM
Now there is the Flamingo in Garretsen Creek & the Brooklyn VI in Sheepshead Bay that fish for Blues & Strippers.

Hey, the Brooklyn VI was the boat we took when my car was stolen!  It was a super night of fishing, in fact the best fishing I had ever seen up to that point in my life. I'd go again!
Central Florida

bluefish69

If you show up let me know. I'll take a ride.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

bluefish69

floating doc

Quote from: bluefish69 on August 21, 2014, 03:16:42 AM
If you show up let me know. I'll take a ride.

I'll keep that in mind. I want to take the family on a road trip all the way up the east coast to Maine. Maybe next summer.
Central Florida