9/0 v 6/0

Started by CooldadE, August 31, 2014, 05:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CooldadE

I don't know much about the larger Penn reels. Larger to me is 6/0 and up. My question is what are the differences between the 9/0 and 6/0? What I do know is they both use the same drag parts, 9/0 has a larger line capacity and the 9/0 has a rod brace. Is the 9/0 a major step up strength wise? Or just an oversized 6/0?
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Shark Hunter

The pinion in the 9/0 is larger. The main gears are the same as the 114H. They are both fine reels. The 9/0 is a more powerful reel with more line capacity. The upgrades available here for both will make them much more than a stock reel. The 114H has a 2.8 to 1 ratio. The 9/0 is 2.5 to 1 but the bigger spool will give you much more line per crank.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

I agree about the pinion, but not sure about more line per crank. The stock gears have the same line retrieval per crank, well very close. With stock gears, the 9/0 should retrieve 29" per crank and the 6/0 28.7" per crank.
Using Black Pearl's custom gears, the 9/0 should retrieve 32.97" and the 6/0 33.1" per crank .
This is based on the spool diameter on the 9/0 being 3.3/4" and the 6/0 being 3 1/4".
Numbers are not accurate but will give us a general idea, some spools have a shorter lip, as the aluminum spool vs the chromed spool.
The 9/0 has a stronger pinion as Shark Hunter mentioned, but both should get the same job done.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

CooldadE

Thanks guys. I have a chance to pick up a older new condition 9/0 at a very good price and wanted more info be for pulling the trigger. At this point I have no use for one but to add to my collection. Your input is appreciated...
Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

ChileRelleno

Quote from: CooldadE on August 31, 2014, 05:12:45 AM
Is the 9/0 a major step up strength wise? Or just an oversized 6/0?

Is a step up strength wise, but not majorly, its main step up is it's line capacity.
The 6/0 and 6/0 wide are in my opinion much more versatile, especially since with practice they are castable.
Just my $0.02.

My personal best 6/0 conquest

Quote from: CooldadE on August 31, 2014, 12:07:32 PM
Thanks guys. I have a chance to pick up a older new condition 9/0 at a very good price and wanted more info be for pulling the trigger.
At this point I have no use for one but to add to my collection. Your input is appreciated...
Cool
Buy It!  ;)
It is an investment if nothing else, it will not lose resale value.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Shark Hunter

Just make sure its a one piece spool if you plan to fish it. The Bushing models usually have a three piece spool which is prone to warpage.
Life is Good!

Makule

As Shark Hunter advises, get the one-piece spool models, unless it's only for display and not to be used.  The difference in the spool is easy to spot, as the one-piece has a smooth curve where the center shaft becomes the flange, whereas in the 3-piece, it's got a small hump (see image of what the "hump" looks like, from another brand reel, but similar).
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Tightlines667

Line capacity and spool diameter are definately a significant factor when comparing reels.  The increased line capacity and spool diameter provides a huge benefit in terms of decreasing drag efficiency, increased rpms, increased heat and other factors (like retrival rate/effective cranking power) which decrease the overall efficiency of the reel as line comes off the reel.  These effects are typically more effident in smaller capacity reels.  Of course use of thinner diameter lines in smaller spools can maintain capacity and help to negate these drawbacks.  It is always relative, but I like to recommend enough spool capacity to ensure that in most of your fishing situations you do not intend to let the effective spool diameter to typically get down about 1/3 of full diameter, and really never go down below 50% if full.  I.E.  If you expect the largest target query under your conditions to possibly run 300yds of line off at your max effective strike drag setting, then you should ensure your reel can hold 500-600yds of line rated 3X max effective drag setting.  This rough rule of thumb will ensure your reel remains working efficiently throughout a prolonged fight, while maintaining a needed margin of error.  On the flip side smaller spooled reels are typically lighter weight, and the absolute difference in torque-related effects between a full and half spool are relatively less...provided line capacity is maintained.

Usually you are better off with a larger diameter/capacity spool though overall...all things being equal.

Just my 2 cents.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

erikpowell

Hey, I just reloaded this page and Chile's and Makule's picture links disappeared...

Shark Hunter

Photobucket has been a PIA today Erik. I cans see the pics.
Life is Good!