Torque difference in two speed conventional reels

Started by amoebasurgeon, August 24, 2014, 09:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amoebasurgeon

Hi everyone. I was messing around with my Okuma Cavalla 20-ii today and noticed this at strike setting: The high speed gearing had more drag resistance than the low speed gearing. I always thought the opposite should have happened.....low speed=more torque/high speed=less torque. I have to say that this is the first 2 speed conventional lever drag reel I have ever owned so I'm not familiar with how these machines work. Is this the inherent quality of 2 speed reels? When in low gear, do I just need to throw the lever into full?

Robert Janssen

How odd. I really don't have an explanation for that.

No, it is not an inherent trait among lever drag reels. Quite the opposite.

Really, the gears have nothing to do with the drag system. You could remove them entirely from the reel; it would make no difference at all to the drag.

How were you measuring this? With a straight pull off the spool, or by cranking against the drag? I can imagine that there is a thrust moment from the helical gear if cranking against the drag, but that is rather farfetched.

Three se7ens

The cavalla tightens up at higher drag settings.  Since the drag is on the spool, you feel more resistance in high gear since you have less of a gearing advantage over the resistance.  Same way that it's easier to winch up a heavy load in low gear, the gearing gives you extra mechanical advantage.

SoCalAngler

Like stated above the lower gear will give you more cranking power meaning that while in low gear it will be easier to turn the handle in low than it will be in high gear. Lets say you set your reel at 10 lbs at strike, you should get the same 10 lbs at either high or low with the lever set to strike but the cranking will be easire in low. If your bench testing and cranking against the drag the handle should move much easier when in low as opposed to high with the drag not changed. You are right low gear = more torque and power which in turn makes moving the same load less work than using high but you will move said load less distance with each turn of the handle.

Robert Janssen

Aha.. cranking resistance is a different story. Cranking resistance one thing; drag is another.
Not sure what the op means anymore.

amoebasurgeon

Yes...that's the phrase I'm looking for: Cranking resistance.

johndtuttle

Quote from: amoebasurgeon on August 25, 2014, 04:00:21 PM
Yes...that's the phrase I'm looking for: Cranking resistance.

It's just the gearing. A relatively heavy lever drag spool simply requires more effort to turn in high gear (which is usually very high). There is no change in drag and no increase necessarily in wear on the pinion bearing depending on design and how far you have pushed the drag preset.

handi2

Set the drag at a low enough setting so you can grab and hold the spool while turning the handle in LOW gear.

Now try to hold and keep the spool from turning in high gear. This will explain the resistance to you real quick.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL