506hs opened

Started by tom5500, February 13, 2015, 02:06:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tom5500

bought a 506 and opened it up(im pretty new to working on reels) looks dry(spins fine though) would it be best to tear it down, sand and then oil?

tom5500

Shark Hunter

Everything should clean up with some CLR or simple green. Some light sandpaper or emery cloth should do the trick if you want to do it that way. That clicker looks pretty rough.
Life is Good!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CooldadE

Looks like it was ridden hard and put away wet ...

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

BMITCH

Judging by the amount of corrosion....double check those bearings. They most likely will need to be replaced.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

DaBigOno

Quote from: BMITCH on February 13, 2015, 12:31:24 PM
Judging by the amount of corrosion....double check those bearings. They most likely will need to be replaced.
Bob

X2

I would replace them just because of the rust I'm seeing, and they're cheap.

Quote from: CooldadE on February 13, 2015, 12:27:40 PM
Looks like it was ridden hard and put away wet ...

Nothing a little TLC can't take care of   :)

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

tom5500

i typed 506 but its really a 505 ::)

BMITCH

Oh! No bearings just bushings....fish it as is than ::) :D
luck is the residue of design.

foakes

I do see a bearing in the left side clicker plate.

So must have had parts switched around at some point -- easy to do on these JMs.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rancanfish

I'm going to have to agree with what Fred said.  Only because I want to appear knowledgeable,  and he knows what he's talking about!
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

tom5500

theres bearnigs on each sideplate..they might still be ok , because i spun the spool and it went for 20 sec or so

DaBigOno

Quote from: tom5500 on February 13, 2015, 03:25:05 PM
i typed 506 but its really a 505 ::)

Doesn't really matter, 506 & 505 uses same side plates, and both have bearings
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

tom5500

cleaned, sanded everything, it all came out ok.. but i dont think im getting the eccentric jack in the right position, because when its put back together it does spin  :-\

otghoyt

Sandpaper?  No, no, no.   Barkeepers Friend cleanser is the best s*** for brass, bronze and copper.  Makes it all brand new!!

AND

About the tail side bearing cup.....is there a Newell bearing cup that sizes up the same as the 505/6?  Reason being, mine has a couple dig marks from wrong size screwdriver being used.   Yeah, yeah....I know.  There are some aftermarket, aluminum, anodized, Newell bearing cups and I wouldn't mind that at all on my 505/6s.