Increase drag on Cardiff 201a ?

Started by Brambenicio, September 10, 2014, 03:14:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brambenicio

Hi all,
I've been lurking here for a short while. This is a great resource and I appreciate any help.

I just bought a new, baby Cardiff and have this crazy notion to hot rod it a bit and try to catch a YT with it. I plan to fill the spool with 30# spectra ( hopefully get about 200 yards) and run a short 20# or 25# leader. I will be fishing from my kayak.

Specs say it has a 10# Max drag. That should be fine, but I hate to operate any gear at or very near its max. I do plan to install a set of carbontex drag washers. I will also be ordering a power handle. I believe it's made for the Calcutta 700.
Anyhow, is this feasible or just not a great idea?

johndtuttle

Quote from: Brambenicio on September 10, 2014, 03:14:01 AM
Hi all,
I've been lurking here for a short while. This is a great resource and I appreciate any help.

I just bought a new, baby Cardiff and have this crazy notion to hot rod it a bit and try to catch a YT with it. I plan to fill the spool with 30# spectra ( hopefully get about 200 yards) and run a short 20# or 25# leader. I will be fishing from my kayak.

Specs say it has a 10# Max drag. That should be fine, but I hate to operate any gear at or very near its max. I do plan to install a set of carbontex drag washers. I will also be ordering a power handle. I believe it's made for the Calcutta 700.

Yes, no...maybe!  :P

The round baitcasters suffer from a lack of cranking power, imo, due to small main gears. The "low profile" reels have done a lot to allow the increase in the size of the gears which gives them more torque.

Probably the only upgrade you could do would be to add a carbontex washer under the main gear instead of whatever synthetic one they have down there. These washers are typically "spacers"  to allow the main gear free movement and that put everything in proper alignment rather than a drag washer per se, but you can probably get a few extra pounds of drag by converting it.

Brambenicio

Quote from: johndtuttle on September 10, 2014, 03:35:39 AM
Quote from: Brambenicio on September 10, 2014, 03:14:01 AM
Hi all,

Yes, no...maybe!  :P

The round baitcasters suffer from a lack of cranking power, imo, due to small main gears. The "low profile" reels have done a lot to allow the increase in the size of the gears which gives them more torque.

Probably the only upgrade you could do would be to add a carbontex washer under the main gear instead of whatever synthetic one they have down there. These washers are typically "spacers"  to allow the main gear free movement and that put everything in proper alignment rather than a drag washer per se, but you can probably get a few extra pounds of drag by converting it.

I recognize your username from BD.
I will give that a shot. I have yet to open it up. I want to have the drag washers in hand before I do.
Thanks for your input.  :)

Zimbass

I am not too sure, but from memory, the shaft size on the CT700 is bigger than the Cardiff, so the power handle may not fit.

In any event if you do go the route of a power handle, then the Curado 300EJ, part number BNT4191, will.

IMHO Cardiff would not be my ideal round reel of choice though  ;)
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

alantani

figure 5#'s of drag.  upgrade with carbontex, load it spectra, go fish calico bas and if you hook into a yellowtail, figure you'll be in for a long fight!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Brambenicio

Thanks for the input, everyone.
I do understand that by using this reel to target YT, I am essentially bringing a knife to a gunfight.
It's not something I will plan to do regularly and I generally use more appropriately sized reels.

Brambenicio

Quote from: Zimbass on September 10, 2014, 05:51:05 AM
I am not too sure, but from memory, the shaft size on the CT700 is bigger than the Cardiff, so the power handle may not fit.

In any event if you do go the route of a power handle, then the Curado 300EJ, part number BNT4191, will.

IMHO Cardiff would not be my ideal round reel of choice though  ;)

I checked on that curado handle and  :o it's over $50.
I tried the one I have on my cardiff 401 and it's a match. I believe those go for about $ 30.  ;D