Shimano torium 30- drag backing off on its own when winding under a load

Started by CaptDavDavis01, September 25, 2014, 04:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptDavDavis01

I replaced the drags a while back and never "tested" the reel really. So head off on a overnight trip and when bringing up a stringer of sea bass, the drag begins to decrease on it own, to the point I had to tighten it up several  times before I had the fish on deck.  The next couple of drops was more of the same, the drag wouldn't stay put.  I finally started using my spare rig with not problems.

Anyone have any insight?

Regards,

Danny

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

franky

Hello Danny,

From what you are saying...."to the point I had to tighten it up several times", it sounds like your star is loosening on its own.

In addition to what Alan is saying about checking the order of washers, make sure that you have the click pin that sits in the gear sleeve.  When you turn the star, you should hear and feel a slight click from the click pin.  This pin should help to hold the star in place as you tighten it.  This is the same click pin that springs in never land when you take off the star.  :o

Quoc_Pham

Quote from: franky on September 26, 2014, 12:02:16 AM
Hello Danny,

From what you are saying...."to the point I had to tighten it up several times", it sounds like your star is loosening on its own.

In addition to what Alan is saying about checking the order of washers, make sure that you have the click pin that sits in the gear sleeve.  When you turn the star, you should hear and feel a slight click from the click pin.  This pin should help to hold the star in place as you tighten it.  This is the same click pin that springs in never land when you take off the star.  :o

I have a bunch of grease in mine and luckily it stays put most of the time =)

CaptDavDavis01

The metal washers were in the correct order, but the beveles were )(.  Maybe that was it.

The star click pin was in place. 

Bryan Young

The bellevilles should be () but that is probably not it by itself.  Please made sure that the spacer tube is slotted into the top drag washer before putting on the side plate.  It might be a problem with the spacer tube and top metal washer combined that is causing this problem.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

franky

Quote from: CaptDavDavis01 on September 26, 2014, 07:57:32 AM

The star click pin was in place.  

Hello Danny,

As you are bringing up the stringer of seabass on your rig, do you actually hear the star loosening by means of hearing the clicking from the click pin as the star is undoing itself?  :-\