Poor Man's Lobster

Started by Steve-O, August 25, 2014, 06:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve-O

This is one I really love and made some this weekend. It can be used with Halibut (preferred) or Cod, Monkfish, Roughy, and others.  There are several versions of this recipe online but John Beath - an accomplished halibut angler posted this one. I modify it some due to my aversion to using salt. Never touch the stuff anymore.

So the basic recipe is explained in the video quite clearly however here it is in print.

Fish- Halibut or other flaky white meat fish - cut into chunks or cubes around an inch to an inch and a half

Boil - half cup of sugar, quarter cup or lemon juice, salt to taste ( that's my mod ) up to a few tablespoons. Any more salt and your fish comes out salty, IMO. I go heavy on the lemon and sugar - very light on the salt. We use Real Salt at my house which seems to be on the strong side.

In a medium pot bring the water to boil, add wet and dry ingredients. Stir to dissolve. Keep it on boil. Add 7-8 fish chunks. Boil until they float. Scoop them out onto paper towels to drain.

Dip in melted butter, butter with garlic salt, melted sour cream in a small sauce pan with a stick of butter melted over it - unstirred. Or use your fav dipping sauce. I like Wasabi Mayo, or just plain ole cocktail sauce to change it up from just butter dipped.

Delicious!

floating doc

Thanks for posting this. I'm going to try it. Not much halibut fishing here in FL, so I'll have to try something else.
Central Florida

Dominick

I know what I am doing with my next halibut.  I'll try this recipe just for the halibut.  :D Yuk yuk yuk.   :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

conchydong

I do something similar with Golden Tilefish for appetizers when I have a party and people go nuts for it. I do the chunks and then serve them with toothpicks.
Great post.

Steve-O

CD - the tilefish is an EXCELLENT species for this recipe.  I've only caught one - a few years back about 30 miles offshore from Southport, NC near the Frying Pan Shoals. I think we were right at 110 feet in depth. The big fish were the "reef donkeys"- AJ's in the 20 # range. Arm burners for sure. Then plenty of Triggers. I caught a 19# King Mac - the only one caught and the Tilefish - again the only one. As the Captain saw my Tilefish come up he got fairly animated as charter captains go and told me that was the "money fish". It was delicious.

Dominick - too funny! ......as always. :D  On one of my AK trips, I buy this Ray Troll tee shirt which says "I like big 'buts" ....me wifey says " not wearing that shirt around here!" in no uncertain terms. So a couple years later I wear it to AK and donate it in near new, barely worn condition to my fishing partner for catching "a big 'but". He was happy, wifey was happy the shirt was gifted away,  and I'm happy. Here's the graphic.....I don't know what the problem was. Certainly okay for fish minded folks and kids to view.

FD- I think nearly any fairly decent white meat fish would work - fresh caught shark would be my second choice after halibut.

THERE!  hiked up the dungarees for modesty.

Aiala

Quote from: Steve-O on August 26, 2014, 02:11:39 PM
.....I don't know what the problem was.

The lady angler's derrière is incompletely covered.   ;)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Big Tim

I wish I had seen this recipe before I ruined a couple of cod fillets, I'm sure Ling Cod would work great for this.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Steve-O