Newell 5:1 Gears in Jigmaster

Started by Norcal Pescador, August 30, 2010, 05:27:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norcal Pescador

Sal,
I'd be broke if I had what I wanted in stock. I'd probably be involuntarily single, too. ;D
You're right, the Newell 4:1 gears are the biggest you can get. (Unless Aaron at ReelSpeed's been at it again.) ;D ;D  And they're pricey! Maybe one of these days when I can't think of any other way to spend my retirement money. :-\
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Panama on July 06, 2011, 01:42:26 AM

I just bought a complete set of 5:1 jigmaster 500 gear set (GK-1) from Newell directly. .......  I think I paid around $36.  plus CA tax.  It came with drag metal washers, spacing sleeve, tension spring, gear and pinion.  All s/s.  ..........
Panama

You did well on that one, Panama. Charkbait gives you the main and pinion gears, that's all.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

redsetta

Thanks Panama - much appreciated. I'll send you a PM.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

pullrachet

how important are all those other components from the newell kit as opposed to the charkbait kit?

pullrachet

apologies for bringing back an older thread, but will the newell 5:1 gear kit fit a 505hs?  I was told it will only fit a 500, is this correct?

Bryan Young

I believe they do.  i have a set of both and they appear to have very similar dimensions, OD, ID, height,...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 15, 2011, 09:57:18 AM
I believe they do.  i have a set of both and they appear to have very similar dimensions, OD, ID, height,...

Bryan, I don't believe that they will work. The 505HS and 506HS have different parts than the 500or 500S.

pullrachet, no need to apologies, that's what this great site is all about. Your part# for the gear is 5-505 and the pinion is 13-505.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

I'll take pics of both gears this evening and post.

Is it possible that Newell has more than 1 gear sets for jigmaster reels?  Mine is deep and I can fit a 5 carbontex plus smoothdrag's metal washer set in my main gear.  The normal main gear for 500 for is a short height, but the 505HS is higher.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Bryan, you're right as usual. I just checked on what I have and the gears appear to be the same, with the exception of the teeth and part number.
What got me puzzeled was that the bridge also had a different part number. Oh well.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

pullrachet

So wait, I'm still confused guys.  Are there two different newell 5:1 kits floating around out there or will the 500 and 505 use the same newell kit, regardless of factory part # differences?

Alto Mare

Quote from: pullrachet on July 15, 2011, 07:37:46 PM
So wait, I'm still confused guys.  Are there two different newell 5:1 kits floating around out there or will the 500 and 505 use the same newell kit, regardless of factory part # differences?

You have every right to be confused. To tell you the truth, I'm also a little confused. If the manufacturer has a different number on the part, that part has to be different. I just recalled something, I don't think that you will be able to use that newell kit on that reel, unless you get Alan to  customize that pinion gear. Even though the main gear is the same, the inside dimension on the  pinion is different. I believe that the 505 and 506 have a different spool shaft. I was able to find the main gear but I do not have the reel itself (if I did, I would check it for you) I am quite sure that you cannot use that kit. Take care! Sal

Panama

The 500 and 505 have a different spool shaft and the stock gears are a diff ratio. 500/501 is 4to1, 505/506 is 5to1.  The pinons are different both teeth wise and dimension wise because of the spool shaft.  Now, gear/pinon combo are interchangleble from 505/506 series to 500/501 series (but not sure on vise versa) spool shaft fit wont be tight.
I have a few reels/parts for both laying around.  Maybe I will try it to be 100% sure.
Newell 5to1 gears are deeper/larger than penn 5to1 gears. I have not seen a Newell 4to1 gear for jigmaster.  I do know they once made the 4to1 gear for penn 113. And Newell no longer has those for sale.
Hope my 1+1 does add up to 2.  Anyone is free to correct my arithmetic.
Anthony
Get on the water, Man!!!

Alto Mare

You are correct Anthony,  but we're not too concerned about gear ratio as long as we use parts that mesh. Cool name by the way, that's what I named my son.

Pullrachet, the bottom line is.... you can't use the newell 5:1 gear set for a jigmaster reel in your 505HS. Don't give up, I think that Alan has some pinion that he customized in the past. Drop him a line, I'm sure he'll be able to help.

Bryan Young

Can I join the ranks of confusion?  What reel are we talking about?  I though we are now talking only about the 505HS and 506HS.  Well, I was only speaking of the 505HS and Newell's 5:1 gear set for jigmaster reels.  Unfortunately, I don't have any part numbers.  I pick the up Newell 5:1 gear set from Alan out of the "ooh, look what I found Alan...Bryan, do you know what you had just found??? duh, Alan, what did I find?"  I have yet to get the Newell gear set in the reel 'cause working on other peoples reels.

Penn on left and Newell on right

pullrachet

Well the thread started off in reference to a regular 500, but I kind of threw everyone off with my 505 questions haha.  Basically, I have a pair of 505's that I love to death, and come next overhaul when I have everything opened up, I wanted to put in newell 5:1 gears (that I assumed would fit).