The 99 Club

Started by Shark Hunter, September 11, 2014, 04:03:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Finally put my Silver Beach back together. Thank You for the spring Fred! ;)
I kept it all stock except for a drag upgrade to CF and a Delrin undergear washer.
Got this reel for $35. ;
Life is Good!

bluefish69

Daron

The parts for my 99 are getting close to $100. I didn't even buy any SS for it.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Shark Hunter

I picked up this reel from JD reels out of LA. Anybody heard of them? I paid $99 for it, which seemed fitting. A 99 Jigmaster with accurate spool and frame. It is supposed to have 5:1 stainless gears in it.
Not too worried about that.
I paid $75 just for the frame next to it. I think I did good. So now I have a Jigmaster 99, an original Silver Beach and am probably going to make a Surfmaster 250, 99.
That set of gears is brand new for a 9500 SS. They will upgrade the sand trap. Just waiting on the pinion to get here. Thanks Larry!
Life is Good!

alantani

what i'd love to see is a way to adapt a long beach 60 spool and frame to this side plate.  THAT would be nice!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

George4741

Daron,
Someone else may have thought of this before, but here is a way of getting the "99" look with the outer chrome beauty ring and a Tiburon frame:
Install a a left "259" sideplate (it has the outer beauty ring) and a #2-250 ring to the right side, then you can install a R/H 99, 250, or 500 sideplate assembly to the Tib frame.

Of course, you will have some more left-over parts ::) and that's always a good thing. :D

viurem lliures o morirem

Ron Jones

I don't think the 60 is the right diameter Boss. It is bigger than the 99. What we need is a custom side plate that will bolt 112h guts to the 60 stand and bars. I'm not sure if the pinion would fit the spool, but we really need a fast 60. Or just someone (listen up Alan C) to make us fast Squidder gears that will fit, well it will fit more reels than I feel like listing.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

RowdyW

Wouldn't a jigmaster 501 or 506 do the job? 112h guts, fast gear ratio,handy size, etc.

Ron Jones

The 60 would have the same retrieve ratio as a 112H, which is higher than the Jigmasters. It is also between a 99 and a 501 in width, which means it has the capacity close to a 500 in a reel almost as narrow as the 501.

Put another way, it would be a cheap way to get into something the size of Tiburon's White Sea Bass Special only not as strong because of the frame. In all honesty that isn't horrible as the beefier factory stand can handle the 15#s or so that Alan Cs gears can fish at this spool diameter, and why on Earth wouldn't you run those here? A very high capacity 45# braid reel.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Quote from: RowdyW on November 23, 2014, 10:10:23 PM
Wouldn't a jigmaster 501 or 506 do the job? 112h guts, fast gear ratio,handy size, etc.

The low gear ratio is one of the reasons to do this.  My working "99" reels are Surfmaster 250's with narrow frames.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

RowdyW

Ron, the 112h is the same ratio as the JM 500 & 501. If you want a higher ratio go to a 506 or 505.  And a 500 or 505 would have even more capacity of 45# braid. If capacity is the end goal then just think how much 45# braid you can get on a 49 which is the same width as a 501 &506.      RUDY

Ron Jones

OK,
I'm not making any headway.

500/501 = 4:0/1 gear ratio small diameter
112H = 4.0/1 gear ratio large diameter 66 width spool.
Longbeach 60 3.?/1 gear ratio, large diameter, spool width between 501 and 112H.

The retrieve ratio of the 500 is similar to the 60 due to the higher ratio of the 500 and the large diameter of the 60.

The 112H has to much capacity for 45# braid which is as high a line as you can do with the 15# drag you can get with Alan Cs 5.0/1 SS gears.

If you had a custom set of high speed gears for the 60 then it would have a higher retrieve rate than the 500. If you had a side plate that could make the 112H guts on a 60 spool then we could use Alan's gears and have a screaming retrieve ratio with better capacity.

I hope I've made my position clear. ALAN PLEASE MAKE FAST SQUIDDER GEARS!!

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: noyb72 on November 24, 2014, 05:47:55 AM
OK,
I'm not making any headway.

500/501 = 4:0/1 gear ratio small diameter
112H = 4.0/1 gear ratio large diameter 66 width spool.
Longbeach 60 3.?/1 gear ratio, large diameter, spool width between 501 and 112H.

The retrieve ratio of the 500 is similar to the 60 due to the higher ratio of the 500 and the large diameter of the 60.

The 112H has to much capacity for 45# braid which is as high a line as you can do with the 15# drag you can get with Alan Cs 5.0/1 SS gears.

If you had a custom set of high speed gears for the 60 then it would have a higher retrieve rate than the 500. If you had a side plate that could make the 112H guts on a 60 spool then we could use Alan's gears and have a screaming retrieve ratio with better capacity.

I hope I've made my position clear. ALAN PLEASE MAKE FAST SQUIDDER GEARS!!

Ron

Or just take the 112h and narrow in with the WSB kit from tiburon and call it a day ;D

Shark Hunter

OK,
I tore this reel all apart. I don't trust those ebay gears. There is also some kind of pale green grease on the frame and screws. Set out my options. Black Pearl bridge and gears, ss sleeve yoke, jack. or just a stock set of gears with ss sleeve?
The stock bridge dog spring is tweaked a little bit, I have another. The drags have some kind of automotive grease on them. I cleaned them up and put cal's on them. I decided to go with a stock set of steel 500 gears and the three stack with carbontex drags with a Delrin Undergear. Stock bridge with 505 ss sleeve and the bigger star with the black Pearl Spacer. BP's 5:1 pinion wouldn't slide on this spool for some reason.
Plus, I want to save the Black Pearl gears and bridge for a different project.
The spacer sleeve is a little snug, but I think that's a good thing. The reel spins nice and smooth.

Life is Good!