Cleaning Wife's Silverware

Started by foakes, July 12, 2014, 08:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

A week ago yesterday, July 4th, I decided to make a few extra points by polishing Sue's silverware.

We generally always wait until the night before Thanksgiving or Christmas -- but thought it would be nice to do the unexpected.  So I wanted to find an easy way do this task that is always a painful chore.

So I went to a local independent hardware store called Fresno Ag.  They had at least 40 products for cleaning silver.  So I then asked the elderly lady who ran this department, what is the easiest and best way to clean silverware?

She replied, "Young man, this is all you need, and I have used it for years because it works so well".

It is "Haggerty Silver Foam".  It is a creamy taupe colored paste that you just apply with a fine foam sponge.

So I bought it and did all of Sue's silver in less than 20 minutes.  You just wet the sponge, apply a little of the paste to the silver, wipe gently, then just rinse off with warm water, set aside to dry.  In a few minutes, buff it completely dry with a soft flannel cloth -- done and beautiful.

So I got to thinking, I wonder if it would work on old fishing reels?

Found an old Hurd Super Caster with walnut checkered grips from about 1947 -- never been cracked apart, cleaned, or serviced -- pretty well tarnished and grey dulled badly after nearly 70 years.  I think it is made of aluminum -- so I thought I would try the Haggerty paste.

This is the result after only 5 minutes of work -- the side plates are the original still, after mineral spirits and simple green ultrasonic bath -- but before cleaning with the paste and warm water.  The frame on the old Hurd is the end result before any further work, for a comparison.

I haven't used my points yet -- but they tend to have a short shelf life -- they may already be expired -- we'll see...

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

yeah, when i want to kiss up to the wife, i wash her car.  good husband points last about a week at most.  glad you didn't try to clean the reel in the dishwasher!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jonnou

Points are a waste of time You can be in credit by thousands but you are straight in debt first time you slip up.

Im sticking with the intrest only payments
;) ;) :D ;D

MarkT

Nice, but one oh #### outweighs any number of attaboys!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

floating doc

Quote from: alantani on July 12, 2014, 09:40:44 PM
yeah, when i want to kiss up to the wife, i wash her car.  good husband points last about a week at most.  glad you didn't try to clean the reel in the dishwasher!   ;D

Yeah, I read about that somewhere.... ;)

Funny you should bring that up, ALAN. :D
Central Florida

Keta

Quote from: MarkT on July 13, 2014, 03:17:47 AM
Nice, but one oh #### outweighs any number of attaboys!

Yup, you can't bank atta boys but an oh #### is forever.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain