My Shining Star

Started by Alto Mare, March 21, 2015, 09:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I decided to shine a couple of stars today, pictures don't show much, so I took a short video. Still, even a video doesn't do it justice, the star shines like a mirror.
I used a piece of wood, traced the star and roughly shaped it with a dremel. This helps holding it in place and not burning yourself. The star gets really hot.
Stars were gifted to me by Dave ( jurelometer), another amazing machinist and we're very lucky having him here with us.Thanks again Dave.
Here is the short clip:

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

MarkT

Nice! I like the jig you made too, that was a good idea.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Tightlines667

Those turned out great!
Did you have to make a second wood jig to hold the other side, since they are asymetric?

With regards to heat and stars....

I was wondering what consideration (if any), might be given to the material used to make the stars.  I know when the senators drags really heat up, the expanded gear sleeve can lock the star in place, until things cool down a bit.  I wonder if this problem is lessened by using a stainless star?  

I.e. which combo will cause less binding due to excessive heat?
SSStar/SSSleve
Chromed Bronze Star/SSSleeve
SSStar/Bronze Sleeve
Chromed Bronze Star/Bronze Sleeve
some other combination of materials, coatings, or bushing within the star made of a ditterent material?

Guess this has to do with expansion properties of the different metal alloys when heated.  Ideally the star and sleeve both would be made of materials that expand less when heated.  It might also be benificial for them to resist heating.  Maybe shed heat more readily?  Or insulate (Ceramic coatings have excellent insulating properties, don't they?) against it?  

Maybe this heat expansion thing is less important then strength, and durability of the materials used.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Tightlines666 on March 21, 2015, 09:22:29 PM
Those turned out great!
Did you have to make a second wood jig to hold the other side, since they are asymetric?

With regards to heat and stars....

I was wondering what consideration (if any), might be given to the material used to make the stars.  I know when the senators drags really heat up, the expanded gear sleeve can lock the star in place, until things cool down a bit.  I wonder if this problem is lessened by using a stainless star?  

I.e. which combo will cause less binding due to excessive heat?
SSStar/SSSleve
Chromed Bronze Star/SSSleeve
SSStar/Bronze Sleeve
Chromed Bronze Star/Bronze Sleeve
some other combination of materials, coatings, or bushing within the star made of a ditterent material?

Guess this has to do with expansion properties of the different metal alloys when heated.  Ideally the star and sleeve both would be made of materials that expand less when heated.  It might also be benificial for them to resist heating.  Maybe shed heat more readily?  Or insulate (Ceramic coatings have excellent insulating properties, don't they?) against it?  

Maybe this heat expansion thing is less important then strength, and durability of the materials used.
you're a smart cookie John, but I was one step ahead of you on this one ;D

About the heat, fishing doesn't generate as much heat as a belt sander.
Also, when using the same material for the star and gear sleeve, I wouldn't worry too much about it, one expands and so does the other, so you would be were you started.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wallacewt

you cant get away with anything on this site alto mare ;D
shark hunter,tightlines,etc; are watching ::)

Reel 224

Nice job shining up those stars , Was a little tough focusing on the video but very nice job. Maybe if you narrate next time.. ;D :D 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

harryk3616

no stopping you sal,  seems your doing alot of work lately with wood, stars, storage bin rack, i guess it's too cold and snowy  for masonary work.  good postings, take care my friend

Alto Mare

Quote from: harryk3616 on March 22, 2015, 02:17:01 AM
no stopping you sal,  seems your doing alot of work lately with wood, stars, storage bin rack, i guess it's too cold and snowy  for masonary work.  good postings, take care my friend
Harry, i wish everything was that easy, stars took about 10 minutes. Doesn't take long when you have a nice workbench and an upside  ;)down sander

Big Tim

Awesome Sal..It's amazing what you can do when your'e snowed in  ;D Me I just pulled weeds all day

Big Tim