Mag Sealed Bearing

Started by xaf, April 21, 2017, 04:06:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xaf

I was reading in another post about difficulty servicing the new "mag sealed bearings" that are being used in some reels.  Not knowing anything about Mag Sealed Bearings, can they be replaced with regular bearings if they need servicing or go bad?

Mumin

Helo,
I was in contact with Daiwa Finland about this. They have had very little complaint about MagSeal bearings and had one 4 year old reel in for service about this in the last 6 months. If the bearing is damaged Daiwa service change it ..... but I did not get a price for it  :D a few 10:s they said.
I cant se the problem of replacing the bearing with a regular one if it is in the same size.

Wish you all a happy weekend

exp2000

In my limited experience with these I have found that Daiwa make them an odd size so they cannot be replaced with aftermarket bearings because there is no equivalent.

They about 50% more expensive than a standard bearing.
~

boon

Even if you do find a bearing of the correct size, the other problem is that in some places Daiwa treat the bearing as a seal as well (as they are very effective at sealing) so a regular bearing may not provide sufficient ingress protection to the reel.