Abu Garcia Revo Toro NaCl 60HS Service Tutorial

Started by johndtuttle, September 17, 2014, 04:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joostmoree

Hi John, gentlemen,

I am very amused by the Service Tutorial of the NaCl 60HS. I own a bit smaller model, the NaCL 51HS but I assume that the mechanics of both reels are basically the same. Unfortunately a part of the thumb bar where it slides over the frame bar has broken off (plastic!! >:(). It is still properly functioning but I intend to order for a replacement bar for cosmetical reasons and to fullfill the repair myself.

Do I have to break the whole reel down for the replacement or is there an easier way?

All hints and instructions will make me feel happy and grateful.

Joost

The Netherlands

johndtuttle

Quote from: joostmoree on December 21, 2015, 04:10:48 PM
Hi John, gentlemen,

I am very amused by the Service Tutorial of the NaCl 60HS. I own a bit smaller model, the NaCL 51HS but I assume that the mechanics of both reels are basically the same. Unfortunately a part of the thumb bar where it slides over the frame bar has broken off (plastic!! >:(). It is still properly functioning but I intend to order for a replacement bar for cosmetical reasons and to fullfill the repair myself.

Do I have to break the whole reel down for the replacement or is there an easier way?

All hints and instructions will make me feel happy and grateful.

Joost

The Netherlands

Greetings Joost,

You'll have to take of the left side plate and remove the spool to access a screw on the back. It should then lift off easily.

regards

joostmoree

Thank you for your prompt reply. It seems as though the job is much easier than I could imagine. I ordered for the substitute part right away.

By the way, let alone all endorsements and hallelujahs re the  baitcaster - it is a marvellous machine to cast with - I have to confess that it has some deficiencies.
Lots of parts are made of plastic. And thus vulnerable. Shortly after obtaining the reel the front cover above the line distributor broke off. Apparantly caused by the awkward opening of the right side plate (I have a left hand model). This was repaired by Abu Garcia. But the object has a very flimsy thin mounting possibility which already was ruptured at the reception after the repair caused by the tapered head of the mini bolt. So I glued the thing with Cyanoacrilate. A bit poor show.
And now a similar problem has arisen with the plastic thumb bar. Cheapo.

I own among others solid cold forged aluminium hardware like the Shimano Calcutta 401d. This type of hardware is not bothered by breaking parts. I have next to the Calcutta a Shimano Chronarch Ci4 with lots of synthetics but this is obviously more alike carbon. Tougher than steel. No failures at all.

Kind regards,
Joost

johndtuttle

Quote from: joostmoree on December 21, 2015, 08:41:35 PM
Thank you for your prompt reply. It seems as though the job is much easier than I could imagine. I ordered for the substitute part right away.

By the way, let alone all endorsements and hallelujahs re the  baitcaster - it is a marvellous machine to cast with - I have to confess that it has some deficiencies.
Lots of parts are made of plastic. And thus vulnerable. Shortly after obtaining the reel the front cover above the line distributor broke off. Apparantly caused by the awkward opening of the right side plate (I have a left hand model). This was repaired by Abu Garcia. But the object has a very flimsy thin mounting possibility which already was ruptured at the reception after the repair caused by the tapered head of the mini bolt. So I glued the thing with Cyanoacrilate. A bit poor show.
And now a similar problem has arisen with the plastic thumb bar. Cheapo.

I own among others solid cold forged aluminium hardware like the Shimano Calcutta 401d. This type of hardware is not bothered by breaking parts. I have next to the Calcutta a Shimano Chronarch Ci4 with lots of synthetics but this is obviously more alike carbon. Tougher than steel. No failures at all.

Kind regards,
Joost

Not to worry Joost!

The older NaCl has been discontinued and replaced with the Revo Toro S/Beast which has improved numerous areas.

Needless to say the round baitcasters with more metal are beautiful reels at a increased weight and somewhat larger price penalty.

Its a constant balancing act to make the reels as light as possible for all day casting, reasonable enough in price to reach many anglers and still be tough enough for hard use...I don't envy the Engineers the difficulty of that task.

Overall the reels have some impressive catches to their credit in saltwater and with proper care most really enjoy the reels.

regards

joostmoree

Hi John,

I owe you a confession. Actually I hope every late night that things go wrong in order to give an opening to repair them the very next early morning.
Can you imagine a more important moment your wife serving foie gras whilst sitting at your desk watching a completely demolished reel heading for Christmas?
;)

jaypeegee

Quote from: johndtuttle on September 17, 2014, 04:02:35 AM
Abu Garcia Revo Toro NaCl 60HS Service Tutorial

The sideplate material appears to be a high impact resistant synthetic composite. I will let the gentle reader translate that :). Pretty much the industry standard for this class of reel.

Hi All

John, My 50HS is behaving poorly.

When the clicker is set, it will click but if I reel in line a little, the clicker goes into a 3/4 click mode where the click is muted and almost non-existent. This began (or I noticed it) after I fished through a massive rain storm recently and I figured that some debris or emulsion was preventing the click claw from mating against the clicker but on closer inspection it seems that the governor guide that is on the left hand plate has the corners slightly chipped off/rounded compared against the photo here.

The reel was second hand so I don't know how it was treated previously but since I have owned it, it hasn't been cast or endured screaming runs with the clicker on. I didn't see any debris from the "broken" plastic when I took the reel apart so I'm not quite sure if my diagnosis is correct

I assume this governor on the side plate holds the click claw true - Does that seem likely to you or am I missing something obvious here?

I have removed the click half ring and cleaned and re-seated that but the issue persists.

As the symptoms began after the rain and not from mechanical abuse I am not convinced that I'm right just yet. Any insight would be appreciated

johndtuttle

Quote from: jaypeegee on December 28, 2015, 11:51:18 PM

Hi All

John, My 50HS is behaving poorly.

When the clicker is set, it will click but if I reel in line a little, the clicker goes into a 3/4 click mode where the click is muted and almost non-existent. This began (or I noticed it) after I fished through a massive rain storm recently and I figured that some debris or emulsion was preventing the click claw from mating against the clicker but on closer inspection it seems that the governor guide that is on the left hand plate has the corners slightly chipped off/rounded compared against the photo here.

The reel was second hand so I don't know how it was treated previously but since I have owned it, it hasn't been cast or endured screaming runs with the clicker on. I didn't see any debris from the "broken" plastic when I took the reel apart so I'm not quite sure if my diagnosis is correct

I assume this governor on the side plate holds the click claw true - Does that seem likely to you or am I missing something obvious here?

I have removed the click half ring and cleaned and re-seated that but the issue persists.

As the symptoms began after the rain and not from mechanical abuse I am not convinced that I'm right just yet. Any insight would be appreciated

Trouble shooting clickers of this type in any reel is a nightmare as they are finely sensitive to tolerance issues. The Click Springs wear or fatigue, the Click Claws wear or get bent, the side plates don't fit perfectly anymore or the hole gets worn etc etc.

Unfortunately it is doubtful it is something obvious.  :(

If you can post some photos of what you have found we can try and do our best to figure it out for you. ATM I remain stumped as to the intermittent nature of the problem.

best

jaypeegee

Hmm ....i have no excuse. I dont drink heavily. I dont do drugs. I had at least 4 hours sleep.

I went back and looked. No chipped side plate.  Reassembled it.  Click click click.

Hmm.  Im gonna thrash it tomorrow night and see if it behaves.

Maybe i need to sleep more...  ???

jaypeegee

Thinking further I decided to put the click spring back in what was an upside down position as it looked intuitively more correct.
I suspect that the ring had been upside down all this time and I have righted it.
Not sure how to describe the end of it but it has two 'ears' that look to be designed to stop the click claw from popping out and over the spring.
Anyway, It seems to be better. Will load the car this afternoon and see for sure.

johndtuttle

Quote from: jaypeegee on December 29, 2015, 07:40:06 PM
Thinking further I decided to put the click spring back in what was an upside down position as it looked intuitively more correct.
I suspect that the ring had been upside down all this time and I have righted it.
Not sure how to describe the end of it but it has two 'ears' that look to be designed to stop the click claw from popping out and over the spring.
Anyway, It seems to be better. Will load the car this afternoon and see for sure.

Keep us posted! Something as simple as that orientation of the Click Claw can cause your trouble.

handi2

I did a full service on one of these reels today and I tell you it takes a while. The reel had been abused and fished hard. It's a very impressive reel.

When I was finished and no slack in the spool adjustment it spun forever and the level wind made it 17 times from side to side.

I too think the parts should be beefed up a bit to handle the larger fish and day to day abuse.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

jaypeegee

Quote from: johndtuttle on December 29, 2015, 07:50:44 PM

Keep us posted! Something as simple as that orientation of the Click Claw can cause your trouble.

3Km offshore on the Kayak yesterday and half of the thumb bar fell off the reel and floated away
I'm guessing that this had  had a hairline crack fracture and wonder if it was causing the above issue?

I will be off to ereplacement to get parts

Thank goodness for having a backup reel on-board.

johndtuttle

Quote from: jaypeegee on April 03, 2016, 08:59:40 PM

3Km offshore on the Kayak yesterday and half of the thumb bar fell off the reel and floated away
I'm guessing that this had  had a hairline crack fracture and wonder if it was causing the above issue?

Sorry to hear about your trouble. All I can really add is that the reel has been discontinued and the new design is dramatically improved. You can see details in the post:

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15044.0

Certainly I would expect Abu Garcia to help you under warranty.

best

Lunker Larry

Good luck getting ABU to even talk to you about thumb bar issues on the winch or NACL. They won't even acknowledge questions on it.
It was a poor design and caused them nothing but grief. In mu muskies club, they've replaced dozens of reels and repaired many more.
The thumb bar is too wide and the tolerances are poor. Add in it is all plastic makes for a disaster waiting to happen.
What I tell everyone is to make sure you are pressing the thumb bar on the handle side of the reel. This makes for a more aligned and straight down pressure. If you don't, the thumb bar, due to being a bit wobbly starts to wear unevenly to the point it either binds or breaks the thumb bar or the clutch bar. It also wears a groove into the frame of the reel causing a worse fit.
So the best bet is to push down as close to the handle side as you can and put a drop of oil where it rubs on the frame before you go out.
Here's a couple pictures.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

jaypeegee

Quote from: johndtuttle on April 03, 2016, 11:11:39 PM
Quote from: jaypeegee on April 03, 2016, 08:59:40 PM

Sorry to hear about your trouble. All I can really add is that the reel has been discontinued and the new design is dramatically improved. You can see details in the post:

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15044.0

Certainly I would expect Abu Garcia to help you under warranty.

best

Hi JT

Not trouble at all. It was a relief in a way as I still had issues with the clicker behaving funny if left on when I retrieved line.
The reel was purchased second hand so warranty is of no concern, I figured I'd post in case
A: my theory sounded waaay off base I  might get feedback on it
and
B: if it proved to be the cause of my issues then it might prove helpful to someone else in the future

CHeers