Abu Garcia Revo Toro NaCl 60HS Service Tutorial

Started by johndtuttle, September 17, 2014, 04:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaypeegee

Welp...

Pre season servicing shows that the clicker is still problematic
Feels like the claw is getting stuck under the plastic half-ring when the clicker is engaged

I wonder if the claw/E-ring/Clicker knob should be tight when assembled? That is should the claw move freely/loosely side to side or should it be "stiff" in the on position?

Anyone?

jaypeegee

Not sure if I have fixed it but I noticed that the e-ring was loose and allowed some play when assembled on the click claw. I squished it a little and it seems to not slide under the spring. It slid under if the reel was wound backwards so talking up slack in the line would be the action causing it in the field. I will add a couple of extra e-rings to my order and compare when they arrive.

steelfish

Quote from: johndtuttle on July 28, 2015, 07:45:01 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on July 28, 2015, 07:07:02 PM
Nice fish! John, is that you?

Yes! If I was 20 years younger, was better looking and actually got to go fishing!  >:(

LOL that was a good one John, jajaja
The Baja Guy

Fishit 2

I just picked up a Revo 3 Winch, my first low profile Abu - I collect 2601-7501 Ambu's so I'm not sure about the parts on this reel. I see they sell (HedgeHog studios) aftermarket offset thumb bars, wondering if this would help guard against the wear that is seen on the previous generation of Revos. Was going to also purchase some decent bearings but didn't want to put too much money into this reel since I only paid $90 for it.  Any of you guys upgrade these models? I see they are very popular in Japan.
President of the Down Beach High Class Hookers fishing Club.

Quote from: Fishit 2 on April 28, 2017, 08:19:45 PM
Any of you guys upgrade these models? I see they are very popular in Japan.

Japan's techno male society always gravitates towards new and often replaced reels.  Hench the huge used market in japanese tackleshops.  I've owned 1 Premier, 1 STX, 2 SX, 1 S and for a very short time an Inshore.  I never considered upgrading them since they all gave me trouble of some sort within a week of getting them.  My low profile baitcasting needs have gone back to and will stay with the 2500 and 4500 sizes.  Maybe the offset thumb bar is a solution to the wear problem, but all my Revo's experienced larger problems long before the thumb bar got much use.  There are enough bling cosmetic bits at japantackle and hedgehog to make a Revo into a completely unrecognizable reel.

foakes

Thank You for the great and complete service tutorial on this, John!

I have done a few pre-fish services on new ones — but this afternoon needed to do a complete on a "60" size NaCl that had been fished in the salt — and your step by step, as well as personal observations about greasing, drags, and bearings were spot on.

This is the first one I have taken all of the way down.  There were a couple of places where even an experienced guy might have made a mistake that would break something expensive.  But no worries with your excellent tutorial.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.