Penn Torque 40n/2speed vs Okuma Andros a12 or 16

Started by rdrblck66, November 21, 2014, 07:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdrblck66

I was planning to buy a Penn 40n for yoyo duty. But now Okuma is coming out with new Andros a 12 and 16 size reels. The Penn is $200 more. My question is  the Okuma Andros a reels in the same class as Penn Torque reels. Thanks for feedback.

MarkT

Check out the new Fathom 40NLD2 for something comparable to the Andros at $299.  The Torque is nice but way more money.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

alantani

i have the andros reels and they're great, but i am going to add a torque 30 and a 40N to match the new rods that jon vadney is making for me.  performance wise, they are equivalent, so just pick what is pleasing for you to look at!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

If your going to spectra back and fish 40 lb toppers on the reel I like the 25N's size much better. I run long toppers around 80 yards or so on my yoyo gear to fish Baja, I normally use a AVET JX 6/3 which is really close in size to the 25N. The 25N being smaller/lighter makes fishing the iron somewhat easier and it has pleanty of stopping and cranking power to handle 40 and even 50 lb if needed. You only save around $30 going with the 25N so it's not a cost thing but the reels size will be so much nicer IMO.