Okuma Metaloid 2 Speed Reel

Started by Ralphc, September 22, 2014, 05:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralphc

A.T. Team
I just saw on the net the New Okuma 5II Metaloid fishing reels. Have you guys evaluated this reel I would like to get your opinion on them. The Mikara is a great reel is this quality carried into this lower end reel?

Thank you in advance for your reply

Ralph C

SoCalAngler

I've only played with a 5II in a tackle store so I didn't get to open it up. I can say the fit, same as the Andros, is nice and the finish looks good. A three year warranty is nice also if some tweeks need to be made to the reel in the foreseeable furture but having the Andros line already, Okuma's cast aluminum reel with a couple of less bearings at around half the price looks like a winner to me, for the more budget minded angler.

mike1010

They have an AR bearing, but does anybody know if there is a backup dog?  Haven't found the information (or a schematic) on the okuma site.

Ralphc

Mike
Thanks of the feed back now I have to ask why you want to know if it has a back up dog? Is having an AR bearing as good or better then Ceramic bearings.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

Ralph C   ???

johndtuttle

Quote from: Ralphc on September 25, 2014, 06:17:59 AM
Mike
Thanks of the feed back now I have to ask why you want to know if it has a back up dog? Is having an AR bearing as good or better then Ceramic bearings.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

Ralph C   ???

The "AR Bearing" refers to an "Anti-Reverse Bearing" or one way clutch to prevent the handle from going backwards and lets the drag do it's work.

Ceramic bearings are rarely used due to cost in saltwater reels and have limited utility for numerous reasons. Regular bearings only corrode due to neglect, and the typical wearing out of pinion bearings on some lever drag reels would possibly be exacerbated by the use of ceramic balls which are more vulnerable to "crushing" forces, as I understand them. Quantum is starting to introduce them in numerous spinning reels but the jury is out on whether this is a good idea or not. We prefer quality SS bearings and regular maintenance.

The trouble with AR bearings is that they are quite stressed in conventional reels as they experience a multiplication of force from the gear train and so reach their limits easily and commonly fail. Some method of back up mechanical dog and ratchet is preferred.

natch!

First time poster here, although I was on the SoA trip in June.

I'm liking the looks of these Metaloids, I'm snooping around for for a reel to fish 25-30 lb. I don't really see the need for a 2-speed, Heck, I probably don't need a lever drag, but I like the idea in case I'm doing some light trolling, such as swim baits for albacore.
What concerns me about both the Metaloid and Andros single speeds (besides AR considerations) is the high gear ratio. I see Penn's Fathom lever drags have a lower ratio, and double dogs. they also appear to be right there on the price too. It should be interesting to see how they compare.
 I also keep reading about the amazing high drag capabilities of all the new smaller reels. I'm wondering how the lower range performance is on some of these, say at 5-7 lbs. at strike.

Jack

SoCalAngler

On any reel high drag is only half of the battle, the other half is cranking power. It's great to stop a fish before your spooled but if you cant move the fish toward the boat sooner or later bad things will happen. These smaller sized reels like the Andros/Mataloids 5 single or two speed, or the Fathom 15, 25 or 30 single speed reel IMO are great reels for 30 lb test or lighter. Where as the Fathom 25II or 30II LD, I'd have no problem fishing 40 lb test on, so as you can see we are not talking apples to apples here.

On the Fathom stars the ARB works as the antireverse and the dogs are there as backup if the ARB fails(on the 25n and larger star reels have 2 and the 15 and 12 has 1 and I think the 15 and larger LD's have 2). I have not opened a Fathom LD reel so I cant speak for their antireverse but IMO fishing 30 lb test or lighter and you keep a eye on the any ARB so it dosn't get messed up by any number of things, you should be fine. Until I get a look at the Metaloid's I cant speak for them either but I know the Andros's have a backup dog also.

Now a lever vs. a star drag really comes down to ones persons likes or dislikes. I fish both star and lever drags for this 30 lb and under line test, heck even 40 to 50 lb test. Small baits that need to be casted a star ranks the best but if while your fishing lighter line and your bit by a bigger fish than expected and you want to add more drag in a measured way and not break off the fish by adding too much drag a lever drag rules here.

5-7 lbs of drag is right there for 20 lb test so either reel can handle that no problem without over stressing a ARB. For me when I start to hit around 40 lb test and look at larger fish is where I get concerned about ARB's, dogs, 2 speeds, line connections and such. For 30 and under it's pretty much wide open for me.

mike1010

Horse's mouth (Okuma) says that there is no ARB; double dogs instead, which is more to my liking.  They are in the process of correcting their promotional materials.  Oops.

spes

Hi guys,
I like the looks of this reel and am hoping to find one in my xmas stocking  ;D

Poking around on the internet I found this youtube video of the reel

In the video it shows the reel having magnetic cast control.  ???
What's up with that?  I havn't found any other place showing that feature on that reel.

mike1010

Yeah.  Other photos of the reel show the left side plate without any such gizmo.  I look at this, and the lack of detailed information about the reel as discussed in this thread, and I think two things:  (1) Maybe the reel was pulled back from the market to add the mags.  (2) Okuma marketing seems a little challenged at the moment.  As long as we are not stockholders, that's okay if the reel is what it seems to be.

Another consideration is, I wonder if the reel is manufactured in Japan.  They might have to send that work elsewhere to meet their price point.

--Mike

mike1010

Reel schematic:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/63wkcp3jknn23u3/okuma.pdf

Two AR dogs clearly visible.  No ARB.  No cast control.  Mark at Charkbait says that the reel is shipping without it, so I guess there was a late change to drop it, not add it.

--Mike

spes

Just to close out the question I asked,,,
Got this reply from Okuma

QuoteThank you for your e-mail and interest in our new Metaloid reels.  Unfortunately the Metaloid does not come with an adjustable cast control system.  The reel used in this video was an early prototype that we utilized to test the internal Metaloid function.  The Metaloid was never planned to have this feature.  If you are looking for an adjustable cast control feature, this is only available on our Andros series 2-speed reels.  The cast control is not magnetic.  It actually works off the main drag system to offer both light or heavy tension on the spool.  The main advantage hear is that you do not have to worry about magnets that have high potential for rusting as well as creating electrolysis between other dissimilar metals within the reel while fishing in a saltwater environment.
Sincerely,
John Bretza
Director of Product Development
Okuma Fishing Tackle and Savage Gear