pinion gear removal, Penn 209

Started by oahe80, September 21, 2014, 01:34:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oahe80

I am working on rebuilding my Penn 209. It is going together well except for the spool. I need to put the pinion gear (part 13, 13-155)in first, then put the spool shaft into the pinion.  My problem is I cannot remove the pinion gear from the spool.  How does one go about removing it? Is there something I am missing? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

oahe80

I am working on rebuilding my Penn 209. It is going together well except for the spool. I need to put the pinion gear (part 13, 13-155)in first, then put the spool shaft into the pinion.  My problem is I cannot remove the pinion gear from the spool.  How does one go about removing it? Is there something I am missing? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

foakes

Hi oahe --

Unfortunately, the pinion is likely rusted to the spool end --

First thing I would do is soak the gear and spool end in a container of penetrating oil over night and maybe a little longer.

Next, carefully try to move the gear with a pair of vinyl covered or tape covered pliers -- being careful not to compress or ruin the gear by squeezing too hard -- just try to wiggle slightly back and forth -- while pulling at the same time.

If this doesn't work -- try to get something thin and strong under the pinion -- and see if it will pry up and off.  Like a couple of screwdrivers or an old Penn thin wrench.  Be careful about bending the edge of the spool when prying.

If you are fortunate enough to get the pinion off intact -- the inside shaft hole will need to be cleaned out.  A very small drill bit covered with "0000" steel wool, fastened in a drill chuck will do the trick.

If neither of these work -- just cut off the pinion with a Dremel -- being super careful to not come in contact with the spool end shaft.

Clean up the spool shaft with some Emory sanding tape -- and get a new pinion gear.

The pinions are much cheaper than a new spool.

Good luck,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Good advice from Fred. If it still won't come lose, get some vise grip and give the pinion a good squeeze, it should split open. Unfortunately the 13-155 is not available anymore, but you could get yourself a new set of gears for just $11.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/5C-209.aspx
Replace both gears if you need to.
Sal

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

two flat screwdrivers, wedged under the pinion gear on opposite sides, twist the screwdrivers clockwise to provide equal and opposite pressure to lift the pinion gear straight up.  to then clean the inside of the pinion gear, find a drill bit that is closely matches the inside diameter.  use a zip tie to hold the pinion gear and run the drill bit inside the pinion gear to clean it out.  be very careful at this point.  lastly, polish the spool shaft.  all surfaces need to be highly polished and smooth.  then relube everything and you are done. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!