First Fish

Started by EccentricRuss, September 21, 2014, 11:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EccentricRuss

My son caught his first fish today!  And then he caught three more for good measure.  All four were panfish.

Used a Zebco 202 rod/reel combo, red worms on Aberdeen hook and an unknown brand bobber...brings back memories.

Russ

harryk3616

great start, don't stop now, more fishing with his dad.

floating doc

Wonderful news! Great way to end the summer.
Central Florida

handi2

Great picture. I used a many 202's in my time..
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Wow, great times, Russ --

Alan -- this may be a possible for pic of the month?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Very cool Big guy, yes you are the bomb.
Those nice fish appear to be worth $2.50 each, your dad owes you $10 ;D.
Thanks for sharing those with us...nice job!

He's hooked for life! ;)...I see photo of the month.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

the rockfish ninja

Deadly Sebastes assassin.

gstours

Yessiree;  thats some good fried fish I see......that boy will be your friend for life now!!!  he,ll be diggin worms and begging.... I still remember catchen 6-8 inchers,  thats what summer is for,,,,, keep the kids out of the malls. great photo.

Marcq

Yup!! That's a nice first  8)

Marc..

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MFB

They say you can always remember your first fish, well done.

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

HOLEINTHEWATER

GREAT MEMORIES FOR ALL. USED ZEBCO'S  FOR YEARS, UNTIL I GOT INTO BAIT CASTERS. STILL USED ONE FOR CATCHING MY GILLS FOR BAIT.

Big Tim

EccentricRuss

You all are very kind, thank you.

As his father, I may have been happier than him.  I certainly talked about it all day as we visited friends afterward.

One of the things that we forget is that when we are young, these "firsts" are higher stakes events.  As an adult, if I go out and fail to catch a fish, I can take my lumps and figure out what to do better next time; my six year old son was devastated when he couldn't catch fish his first time out.  The emotional spectrum is so much greater for a child.

Twice yesterday, the fish had him close to tears.  The first was when they would bite and he'd jerk up on the rod and tangle himself up in the slack line.  Three of the four fish he did catch "flew" out of the water.  Who needs a net when you bypass the reel altogether and pull the fish out of the water entirely?  The second close call was on fish #4.  He started to tire out and lose focus.  I looked over at his position and asked him, "Where's you bobber?"  He looked out and said, "I don't know."  He started to reel in and the line was tight.  He started to get upset because he snagged his tackle or maybe a turtle took his tackle under.  I told him to calm down and give it a second.  As he continued to meltdown, the fourth fish came out of hiding under the rock it was using and ran again!  Fish on!  The excitement came back to him and we landed the fish. 

That is the excitement of a lifetime,  a child's excitement at conquering a small piece of nature for a small period of time.

Russ