Black 6/0 Drag Kit looks short

Started by CaptainRMF, November 01, 2014, 05:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainRMF

Good morning guys, I'm having a brain freeze. Ordered HT 100 Drag Washer Kit #6-114SP to upgrade an old Penn Black 6/0. It's the 5 stack plus metals. Have the steel main gear in it but the groove for the eared washers is not cut to the bottom of the gear. The only way to make it all fit is: CF-keyed-CF-keyed-CF-eared-CF-eared-CF-keyed-felt-cap. Is it OK to stack the 2 eared this close or not. If I put eared under the felt it doesn't catch the groove on main gear. Also, when it's stacked in side plate it's very low compared to the stock 3 stack which sits flush with the side plate. Thanks for the advice in advance. See pics below.                                             Richy
Richy aka CaptainRMF

CaptainRMF

Sorry guys, I forgot the gear pic.
Richy aka CaptainRMF

Alto Mare

I personally have never seen a gear as that one, you will need to use a dremel and cut the groves a little lower, in your case a lot lower. Changing orientation with the washers won't work, you could make it work but will lose drag numbers. The best solution is to use a dremel or anything else you're comfortable with.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

CaptainRMF

Hey Alto, the only tools I'm comfortable with is hammer and nails, that's why I'm a carpenter sorry. Reel is one of my dad's, probably older than me. Figured I rebuild and upgrade it for him but if I can't figure it out I might just put it back Stock. I also measured 1/4" from the bottom of the grove to the bottom of the seat. It had the real thick 3 stack washer set up. Thanks.                         Richy
Richy aka CaptainRMF

Alto Mare

Captain, I've been hammering nails and laying stones for the past 40 years. Yes, I'll do the foundation and also build the wood structure on top, I've been lucky to learn both trades.
With that said, I don't know much about steel, but been playing around with it, grab that dremel and give it a shot, you'll be amazed on what you could do with it.
Sorry, if I had that gear I would have sent it to you, I have a few others, but as for the 114, I only had one and someone here got it from me earlier.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Wow Richy! :o
I'm with Sal, Never seen a gear like that! That is  the problem when working on these old reels. Sometimes we run into obstacles. Your gear should look like this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PENN-SENATOR-114-6-0-5-114-MAIN-GEAR-/281482150065?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4189a4c0b1
Life is Good!

foakes

Hi Captain --

If you decide to go with a new gear, and do not already have one on the way -- I've got a couple of spares.

I could send you one -- N/C.

Let me know.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

This is the layout of that stack Richy. With the correct gear, It should fit perfect in your Dad's reel. ;)

Life is Good!

CaptainRMF

Hey guys. Thanks for all the input. Fred, thanks for the offer. My Dad has another bucket of old reels I'm gonna check thru and might get lucky with a normal gear. If not I will get in touch, thanks. Shark Hunter I'm posting a pic of the original stack with 3 fat fiber washers and 3 thick metal. On top is a felt #140-114 and collar/cap #136/114. On top of the collar/cap is a spacer then a thick belleville washer then the star then a thin Belleville then handle. The side plate shows Penn 6/0 only. No 114 or 114H anywhere. The drags are removable from the side plate just taking the handle off. That's how old it is. Also when I put the HT100 kit in, even with the wrong stacking order to make them fit, it's 1/8" lower on the side plate than the originals. Don't know if that matters or not for the performance but I assumed with the new kit it would match the height of the original.
Richy aka CaptainRMF

Shark Hunter

Richy,
I have a 6/0 with the same plate on top of my Safe. It will fit with the right gear.
Life is Good!

Jerseymic

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 02, 2014, 03:55:03 AM
Richy,
I have a 6/0 with the same plate on top of my Safe. It will fit with the right gear.

Another ''PLINTH'' ;D

Mike.

bluefish69

Daron has a very good friend that makes him all his Plinths.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.