Repairing a Baitrunner 4500B

Started by TAK, October 06, 2014, 04:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TAK

Sadly and I'm embarrassed to say that the anti reverse lever and the pin it fits on have corroded away after so many faithful years.

The problem is now the reel is stuck being able to run both ways, if I could engage the anti reverse I can at least use the reel as a decent back up.

I've tried following this tutorial for the 6500B http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=994.msg3430#msg3430 but when it comes to removing the main drive gear I'm hitting a problem. With the 4500 being more compact than the 6500B the lower cog on the drive gear sits directly below main shaft and traps there so it doesn't just lift out as shown on the 6500B tutorial.

Has anyone experience of disassembling a Shimano 4500B or advice on how to engage the anti reverse?

Thanks

handi2

First you must remove the spool shaft that runs all the way thru the reel. There is one screw to be taken out then a retainer to flip over and remove. With the shaft out the main gear will come out.

Turn the reel or rotor until the connection of the spool shaft can be seen just below the main gear towards the rear of the reel.

Yours may just have the "E" clips as shown in the 6500 tutorial.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

TAK

Got it I think, thanks.

So the shaft comes out before the main gear, unlike the 6500 where the gear is first?

That's going to be fun to reassemble.

johndtuttle

Quote from: TAK on October 06, 2014, 05:50:23 PM
Got it I think, thanks.

So the shaft comes out before the main gear, unlike the 6500 where the gear is first?

yes, exactly right.

You can doo eet :).

handi2

Quote from: TAK on October 06, 2014, 05:50:23 PM
Got it I think, thanks.

It's easy and you will get it, no problem. In fact you can leave the spool attached..
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL