Newell 540 and 5+1 drag system

Started by Newell Nut, October 04, 2014, 12:25:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

My 540 3.2 has fished 3 days a week all year and it is my primary snapper killer on a Seeker Black Steel CJB80H.

All of my gear gets a good spray of blue dawn and water while my wife is preparing the fish for dinner. After the dawn comes a hard spray of water which should flush everything off of the reels and rods. After all this time and a canceled trip tomorrow due to a little wind and waves I decided to disassemble and inspect.
Bryan's drag system looks like it did when I installed it and no need to replace. I will just add fresh cal's and reassemble.
The disappointing part is the Tiburon frame pitting. The mating surfaces and screws were no issue but he exposed areas that get a good wash show wear and pitting.
I also want to note that of all the handles that I have tested I like the modified Shimano handle the best. Sold by ulua junkies. If you have a dremel you can buy your own and modify for the gear sleeve which I recently did for a friend. These handles are chromed brass like a penn and rather strong.

Upon reassembly I will install top and bottom delrin to test for a few months. The reel was already smooth but it may be super smooth later.

Newell Nut

Reassembled and decided to stay with my full 6 stack arrangement so no delrin on the bottom of the gear. I put a delrin washer on top of the drag stack and then a Penn 18-505 Belleville to get it to fit in the sideplate. Since I am using the thicker graphite star there was no room for the 3-18 washer which is no problem. The drag is still very strong and smooth so I am ready for the next trip. After cleaning the pitting off of the Tib frame the spool spins nice and fast again.

sundaytrucka

That reel has some clean internals, double dogs too, looks good. I never though of modifying a handle to fit other reels.

What pound line do you run on this reel?

-Scott
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Newell Nut

I am using Momoi Diamond 60 and could do just as well with 50 since I usually use a 40 lb leader for mangrove snapper fishing. When the water is not so clear I use a 60 lb leader.

One of our members sent me a 300 series to work on a few weeks ago and he had put a Penn handle on it and I think the number was 24-555 and it was very impressive and well balanced. I thought about trying one but just have not got around to doing it.

bluefish69

The Guys up here have been using the Penn Handles for a few years now & everyone likes them. They are about $20 each. Just a little Dramel work & they fit nice.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

sundaytrucka

Forgot to mention in previous post, I am having the same issue of pitting on my 113H Tiburon narrow frame. Threads are fine, and side plate rings/frame mating surface is perfect, but open areas of the frame have slight pitting.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Newell Nut

My silver Tiburon frames have no issues at all. Only my blue one so I am guessing a poor coating is the issue but I don't know for sure.

Bryan Young

Sorry to hear about your frame, and glad that the drag kit is performing flawlessly. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D