Need help with broken clamp bolt

Started by thunnus69, October 05, 2014, 02:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thunnus69

Anyone have a good tutorial or advice about removing the broken bolt on a Penn 50 TW?  Should I just send it to Alan.  The reel is going on a long range canyon trip for tuna on Thursday 10/16/14. 
Thanks,
Joe

thunnus69

Here's what it looks like.

Shark Hunter

Yikes! That's going to be a tough one. :o
Since there is nothing to hold onto, I think your only option is drilling it out. Start small and you may be able to save the threads.
Life is Good!

alantani

pain, agony, dispair.......   :-[  

torch it, then hit with that freeze spray lubricant, then centerpunch the stud very carefully to make a hole so that the drill does not walk around, then drill it ever so slowly with a 1/8th inch bit, then carefully with the next size up, and the next size, until you can get a bolt extractor in with enough bite to remove the stud.  this will take hours.  been there, many times.   :-[ :-[ :-[
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

thunnus69

Alan any chance I can send this to you?

handi2

Quote from: alantani on October 05, 2014, 05:21:57 PM
pain, agony, dispair.......   :-[  

torch it, then hit with that freeze spray lubricant, then centerpunch the stud very carefully to make a hole so that the drill does not walk around, then drill it ever so slowly with a 1/8th inch bit, then carefully with the next size up, and the next size, until you can get a bolt extractor in with enough bite to remove the stud.  this will take hours.  been there, many times.   :-[ :-[ :-[

Me too and not fun at all..!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

A good T-Bar handle for the extractor bit works better than an electric drill, for me.

I have more control, less chance of stripping out the pilot hole, and less chance of something getting away from me and marring the frame.

The advice from Alan, Daron, and Keith is the only procedure I know of.

And, some folks ask why I grease the bolts and screws when they are going into a frame that doesn't have any moving parts.  This is exactly why -- because someone will need to take it apart for service or repair some day.

And anytime a hole in a solid aluminum frame does not have an opening to the other side -- don't put too much grease on the screws or bolts -- there is always the chance of cracking or blowing out the other side of the blind hole -- due to hydraulic grease pressure.

Good luck,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Big Tim

I for one don't think it's too bad? Not allot of corrosion is good, broken off flush is good...If you haven't started soakin' it with penetrating oil ? do so now. You do need to have high quality drill bits (left handed is preferred for small stuff by me) and good extractors.. Center punch that screw, drill and then heat while attempting the extraction... On this job I would use a good heat gun or small propane torch...If it wont budge then drill it out and install a Helicoil. I did many repairs  like this in the Navy and in my over 22 years as a mechanic. If you don't have the tools then you will have a hard time, then the drilling, tapping & helicoiling is easiest

alantani

a drill press is good to start with.  a countersink bit to start the pilot hole is the best.  it tends not to walk. you can send it out of you wish.  if you have access to a drill press, i can send you a countersink bit.  and you can send it out if you wish.  send me a pm and i will get you my mailing address. 

i've always wondered if dunking these it a bucket of penetrating oil for a week would help......
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Big Tim

Quote from: alantani on October 05, 2014, 09:22:37 PM
a drill press is good to start with.  a countersink bit to start the pilot hole is the best.  it tends not to walk. you can send it out of you wish.  if you have access to a drill press, i can send you a countersink bit.  and you can send it out if you wish.  send me a pm and i will get you my mailing address. 

i've always wondered if dunking these it a bucket of penetrating oil for a week would help......

Alan is right on the counter sinking...I'm old school and have done many of these types of repairs in the dark and upside down...A pilot hole is a definite must & a drill press is a big +, but I think it might come out with a left handed drill an extractor? Just my opinion. The problem is dissimilar metal electrolysis that cause the seizing. Or plain ol' saltwater again  ;D 

Cone

I always drill a starting hole first with a center drill. They are much stiffer than a regular drill bit and won't bend and send the hole at an angle or off center. Then you can use regular drill bits without them walking. You can get a set of 4 center drills for about 5 bucks.  I normally get them here.   http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_search.php?critFast=center+drill&B1=Product+Search 
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Marlinmate

See this.....http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1829.msg9025#msg9025

Part # 34-50T

1/4 x 20 is the tap you will need.       I've been there before. 

1/4x20 tap uses a 13/64 drill bit or a #7 drill bit

I would recommend going a size or two smaller (11/64 or 5/32??) then run the tap through.

A drill press is your best friend here.

FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS