500 Jigmaster problem

Started by STRIPER LOU, October 06, 2014, 10:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

Hi All,
 I have a problem with a Penn Jigmaster. It has been converted to a 99, newell bars and spool and works well. Frame is not sprung. I got it used and it has engraving on the handle side trim ring. Cant have that! Was able to pick up a used ring that's almost perfect.
I get it installed and when I try to rotate the side plate into place and tighten the take apart screw it doesn't quite line up. Looks like the plate needs to rotate about and additional 1/32 of and inch to make the screw go in.
I tried loosening all the screws and reseating everything but no go. I even put the old one back on and it does fit better but just barely makes it, but it does line up somewhat better. Borrowed a couple more trim rings and tried them and no go, same thing. Reel is us made, parts are us made.
Is there any adjustment or fix that can be made to get the screw to line up properly?
Thanks in advance!!!!!!

Alto Mare

No, unfortunately there isn't any adjustment. Usually that happens when someone replaces the right side ring with one from an older reel. What works for me is to place a drill bit of the correct size on the edge of the slot and drill it a little, being careful I don't go through. Don't worry too much though, the outer part of the ring is really thick.
You will need to do all three slots.
Some also like to file the small posts on the plate, I personally don't like to do that.
The easiest way to fix the problem would be to replace that right side ring.
I have done the drilling on a couple of my reels and they're working just fine. A little brass will be exposed, apply a little grease there and it should be ok.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

Sounds like a perfect reason to go to a 500S right side plate.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

STRIPER LOU

Hey Sal, Thanks for the input. Being a retired toolmaker I had a similar idea to use a dremel. Then I thought, there's got to be an easier way! Sometimes it just is what it is. The dremel worked great and thanks again. The new trim ring was in such good shape I hated not to be able to use it. By the way, thanks to all that replied.
......................Lou

alantani

the right side ring is made of two pieces, pressed together.  these two pieces will grudgingly come unpressed if you are persistent.  then you can press it back together evenly and in proper alignment.  a new one might be better.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

I'm glad it worked out for you Lou and welcome by the way.

Alan, I wasn't sure you could pull those rings apart, good to know. With 7 screws set in, it's hard to believe that they would shift, but anything is possible I guess.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.