Convector CV30CS reels

Started by RustyTank, August 09, 2014, 07:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RustyTank

Greetings

Have two Convector CV30CS reels.  I previously replaced the corroded pot metal star drag wheels with upgraded aluminum star drag wheels.   Overall I'm very happy with these two reels, love the high speed and overall smoothness of them... used mostly for trolling for Spanish mackerel on the lower Chesapeake in the summer...

I find that the drags are finicky though... i can set them to my liking but then if I back off / loosen the drag... they are still tight... and only winding the reel a bunch... they loosen up...

Time for a tear down and drag washer replacement?  Or should I be looking for a better reel?

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/okuma/CV30CS.PDF

Porthos

Quote from: RustyTank on August 09, 2014, 07:07:35 PM
...Time for a tear down and drag washer replacement?  Or should I be looking for a better reel?...

Seems strange that BOTH reels are exhibiting the SAME behavior at the SAME time if there is some sort of structural mechanical failure...

You can always do one reel with Carbontex and Cal's Universal Grease and see what the result is.

Smoooooth Drag only charges $1.00 for shipping just washers (stated here: http://www.smoothdrag.com/order.html). You can either commit to washers for BOTH reels or hedge your bet by doing 1 reel first and paying an extra $1.00 later for the second set if the first works out. This assumes you already have some Cal's.

RustyTank

Bought new drag Dragmasters carbon washers on EBay... installed them in both reels with Cal's grease and they are smooth and very much improved.

I was impressed with the guts inside the reel and the amount of stainless components.

I now have one noisy bearing to replace.  Called Okuma and they shipped me one... hope to get it this week and finish the work...

RustyTank

Replaced the right side bearing 910-7/0910249 ... received direct from Okuma.... they took quick care of me!!!

The bearing's specs were 3.48mm thick / 12.96mm OD / 5.89mm ID

Spooled em up with 30lb mono... they work SMOOOOOOth now.... the OEM drag washers were like brittle paper.

- RustyTank

Bryan Young

I have a set of Catalinas.  They are the same as the convectors except the frames are one-piece aluminum.  I like the reels...solid for the price.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Porthos