TUTORIAL: Pro Gear Wahoo Specials, Model PG461

Started by Bryan Young, September 10, 2010, 05:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

Thanks for clearing up the lube situation... I'm gonna give it a go on the next reel I crack open. Thanks
Dom

reelgood

This was the drag washer under the main gear of my Wahoo special which as far as I know had never been opened, it looks like some sort of fiber weave impregnated with resin and baked, very shiny surface, almost reminds me of circuit board material.  Anyone ever see one of these in their Pro Gear?  I replaced with a carbon fiber one that was under the main gear in a 551, it was thicker and I think I might have to put something thinner in as the drag ramps up too quick.

That original washer was so shiny it must have had very low friction, with that setup the 461 would have less drag than the 551. With identical configs I think they are capable of identical drags, though 551 have slightly more surface area so...?  My scale broke I still need to get one for some tests.

alantani

yeah, seen those before. i just throw them away and install a carbon fiber drag washer. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Quote from: reelgood on October 30, 2010, 07:58:14 PM
I replaced with a carbon fiber one that was under the main gear in a 551, it was thicker and I think I might have to put something thinner in as the drag ramps up too quick.
It will be fine.  Once you set the drag, you normally should not not fiddle with it anyway.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

slip tip

I had the same washer on my WS and like Alan said, I just pitched it and replaced it with a carbon fiber.

Regards,
David
If you kill it, grill it!

slip tip

Hi, Bryan;
When you replaced the drag washers to carbon fiber, did you double up on one of the washers or did you also add an extra metal washer to go with the extra carbon fiber? There's 3 of the original washers and 4 of the carbon fiber. Just Curious.

Regards,
David
If you kill it, grill it!

Bryan Young

Hi David,

Sorry, I missed your posting.  I believe I had to double up on one of the washers, but I cannot remember.  I was doing 2 reels at a time.  Also, an update, one of the washers, the one on the top, was replaced with one with a smaller ID.  I am trying to find the specs on the washer, but I just could not.  I'll have to find one so that I don't have to open up the Wahoo Special to measure it.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

basto

Is this the same company who made the Oceanus lever drag reel? and if so, were they ever related (manufacturer) to Jigging Master reels? Any info greatly appreciated.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Bryan Young

Yes, it is the same company as the one that makes the Oceanus reels.

I'm no expert, but I believe that PG got together with JM to exhange ideas, and PG was allowed to copy the handle design.  Likewise, I believe that JM borrowed some ideas from PG and incorporated it into their reels.  PGs are definietly made here in USA.  JM is maid in Asia.  Separate companies, but open to sharing ideas.

basto

Very interesting. Yes, I can see a lot of similarities with the Oceanus and the JM reels. Thanks for your reply Bryan.

Bryan Young

JM reels have a double drag system that PG cannot implement because Accurate has a patent here in the US.  I wonder if I find the same sized JM reel, I could make a dual drag Oceanus?  Hmmm.

basto

The more I see of these reels, the more they remind me of the first PENN TORQUE reels. I have a 200 and it also has been described as too heavy, but weight often goes with strength. 

treidm

Bryan:

DUDE, you got a jacked up! camera!

Nice work! Great detail!

Regards, Reid
"If capitalism is fair then unionism must be. If men have a right to capitalize their ideas and the resources of their country, then that implies the right of men to capitalize their labor."

--Frank Lloyd Wright

broadway

Hey Bryan,

I know this is an old thread, but I have a question.  How (with what tool) and where do you cut the bearing if necessary?
Thanks
Dom

Bryan Young

We used a dremel to cut the outer race with a thin cutting blade, cut at 1/3 or 1/4 positions if you cannot get the clip out.  Now, I would probably use my pics.