TUTORIAL: Pro Gear Wahoo Specials, Model PG461

Started by Bryan Young, September 10, 2010, 05:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

LTM

HEY BRYAN,

IN REVIEWING THIS TUTORIAL (GOOD JOB BTW), I NOTICED WHAT SEEMS TO BE STAINLESS STEEL DOGS.  WOULD YOU KNOW IF THEY ARE THE SAME SIZE AS THE PENN 4/O. IF SO, THEN I MAY BE ABLE TO PURCHASE SOME FROM PROGERAR @EBAY TO ADD DOUBLE DOGS FOR THE 4/0 TANK MOD.

LEO

Bryan Young

Leo, they are not the same size as Penn's 4/0.  Contact Keta by Messaging him.  He just cut a bunch of SS dogs for Penn's 4/0 and 6/0 reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

LTM

Thanx Bryan,

I recently recieved some from Lee a couple of days ago.

Leo

redsetta

Hey Bryan, with all the recent talk about the PG282, it's got me thinking...
The last time I had mine apart it looked like it might be possible to add a second dog.
What do you reckon?
If so, do you happen to know where I might get the parts?
Cheers mate, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bryan Young

Contact Randy Kao at RandyHKao@aol.com.  If not him, then Ken's Custom Reel in Oceanside, CA.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Meanwhile

Bryan Young

Photos are back.  Maybe a problem with Photobucket.  Try again.

handi2

Hello Bryan,

I pulled down my Wahoo Special and found there were no spring washers under the drag star. I guess I'll have to find some to fit. I did however change the drag set. First I used a Penn 6-309 under the main gear. It was a perfect fit. I also used the same under the top domed metal washer. The first try was Penn's 116 HT-100 washers that were a hair too large. After a quick trim they fit perfect. That's probably whst you used.

I then cut a set out of Carbontex 1mm sheet and they too worked fine.

Keith Rawson
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Bryan Young

steve chung

thanks for the tutorial Bryan. i picked one of these up after reading this thread and can't wait to take it for a spin.

Bryan Young

Quote from: steve chung on September 22, 2013, 01:01:00 AM
thanks for the tutorial Bryan. i picked one of these up after reading this thread and can't wait to take it for a spin.
Steve, you will not be disappointed.  They are great reels.

alyssa_d

2 years later and the PG461 has landed cod, salmon, dorado, skippies, bonita, tuna and yellowtail without a flaw. nothing huge but i liked the reel enough to pick up a 2nd one. now i need a damn wahoo!! thanks again for the great write up. time for this reel to take a service break. - steve chung