Striped star

Started by mike155, September 21, 2014, 05:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike155

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 22, 2014, 05:03:03 PM
That's exactly what I thought when I first saw it. That sleeve was not made as shown, each thread is cut in the middle, something had to do it.  I also believe it had to be a fine threat stainless star, couldn't be anything else :-\.
The star n the pic is the original one that came off the brass gear sleeve
That came in the reel. It is the one I used on the stainless sleeve. It is a 10-505
It will scew on to the brass sleeve fine right now. It Wobbles on the other
Sleeve because the threads are gone. Not trying to blame or argue with
Anybody. Just want to determine what happend and I got to get a new sleeve
Ordered. Diameter of the threads and sleeve could have been alittle small not sure
I agree that the brass should have went before the stainless turned loose
But u see the pics. Not sure what happened.

foakes

Yup,

The only thing that would cause that issue is a flaw in manufacturing --

Or more likely, at some time, maybe before in your possession -- a coarse thread SS star was forced onto the sleeve, by accident.

Like Alan said, the wrong stock chrome over brass star would not even affect the finer threads on the SS sleeve.  It would just distort the brass star threads, since they are so much softer.

Just my observation...

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mike155

Talked to the Boss and he said we were going back
With a corse three ad gears sleeve and differnt
Star when he gets the parts in. Alan thanks
A bunch really enjoyed talking with you!

Alto Mare

Quote from: mike155 on September 22, 2014, 05:16:59 PM
That's exactly what I thought when I first saw it. That sleeve was not made as shown, each thread is cut in the middle, something had to do it.  I also believe it had to be a fine threat stainless star, couldn't be anything else :-\.
That came in the reel. It is the one I used on the stainless sleeve. It is a 10-505
Ordered. Diameter of the threads and sleeve could have been alittle small not sure
No Mike, no one is arguing, that's not what we do here. We just like to get to the bottom of it and try to find out what happened...as we do with everything else. You will be all set one way or another.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mike155

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 22, 2014, 09:16:26 PM
Quote from: mike155 on September 22, 2014, 05:16:59 PM
No Mike, no one is arguing, that's not what we do here. We just like to get to the bottom of it and try to find out what happened...as we do with everything else. You will be all set one way or another.
Sal
That's right that's what makes this site so good is everybody helping each other
Figure out the problems

alantani

got a 10-505 star, a 10-66 star and a coarse thread gear sleeve in the mail to you!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mike155

Quote from: alantani on September 22, 2014, 09:46:57 PM
got a 10-505 star, a 10-66 star and a coarse thread gear sleeve in the mail to you!

That is great thanks. Will post up when I get it put in.

mike155

Alan got the parts today. I have another Abu 5600 to service tonight. But
If I have time I will get the parts in the jigmaster.

Thanks Michael

alantani

yeah, still not sure what happened with your original. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mike155

Got chance the other night and got the parts put in the 500.The new parts worked great!I had to trim the spacer a little so i would have room for full drag range.The new star that Alan sent was thicker.everything seems to be working good. thanks for the parts Alan and thanks everybody for the help.