Fishing line question (Fireline)

Started by Doug, October 03, 2014, 03:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug

Thanks for the input. I got a 300 yrd spool of 14 lb test crystal to try  I will see how it goes  Doug

FatTuna

If you are spooling it yourself be sure to use a lot of tension when winding it on. You can always tie it off to a tree and walk off all of the line and then crank it back in under pressure.

If it was done at the shop you are good to go.

Doug

I am having a friend who works at  a sporting goods shop do it  Doug

Sudsy

Gotta be honest, there's a lot of not so accurate information in this thread.

Original (fused) Fireline is still the line of choice on the older pre-braid era reels, in fact one of the only "super" lines that works on these reels.
I use it on all my Penn Spinfishers, Penn SS reels, Cracks, and Mitchell PUMS.

As for breaking strength it's extremely underrated - meaning that it breaks at a far higher test then what they claim. The 20# test that's most commonly used breaks between 30# and 35#s. This is more than enough for any NE surf application

The most popular sizes are 14#, and 20#. If you're gunning for cow one one of the larger reels like the 706, Crack 300, or Mitchell 498 PUM then you might bump it up to 30#.

I get years worth of use out of each spoonful and I fish mainly off the rocks in NJ and the boulderfields in Montauk.

On your 710, 14# is perfect. Don't forget to lay down a dozen or so wraps of heavy mono as backing - keeps the braid from spinning on the spool.

Don't worry about the line starting to get a "fluffy" look. That's normal and doesn't hurt the breaking strength (excessive from dragging on barnacles or sand lips is a different situation)

Be carefull not to wind it on with too much tension or you risk blowing up the plastic spool on the 710.

Stop spooling when you hit 1/8 inch from the spool lip. Anything over that and you'll what people call "Wind" knots when you cast (which actually have nothing to do with wind)

Hey Fatstriper - have you tried Berkley Spiderwire Stealth on your conventionals ?? I surf plug with conventional, hundreds of casts a night, and that's the only line I'll use - blow a reel up (we all do it) and it pulls out as easily as if it were mono. Has something to do with the teflon being throughout the line rather then just a coating on top - FWIW, HATE it on spinning gear.

FatTuna

Hey sudsy, no I haven't tried that particular line but I'll check it out. With my conventional reels, I mainly use them out boat fishing; trolling, chunking, live-baiting, bottom fishing, ect. However, I do want to get more into conventional surf fishing. I have a few spinning setups that I use now but I want to get something nice for chucking bait. Do you throw plugs with the conventionals?

Sudsy

Yup, everything from plastic Bomber minnows to 5 oz custom wood.

Favorite setup is an Abu 6500 Mag Elite, ceramics, ball bearing levelwind (levelwind is a must have for plugging) spooled with 30# Stealth on an 11' AnyFish Anywhere "Estuary" rod
If the wind is tough I'll switch reels to a Shimano 400 Conquest for more control but at the cost of less distance.

Capt Ahab

Good info Sudsy

I too want to try to start throwing conventional in the surf ! 

Sudsy

It's hard to go back to spinning.
The feel you get with a conventional, with braided line, on a sensitive graphite rod, is amazing. Every tiny thump thump of the plug is magnified.

broadway

Doug,
   The Tin Can grounds are still there and yes, they do produce nice sea bass and porgy... and stripers ;)
I frequently fish there when there aren't too many boats.  That's where I took Dominick when he came out last time.
We gotta set up  an East Coast get together on the water this spring.. there are more members fishing Raritan Bay then ever before.
Glad to see you guys finally made it to the best site on earth,
Dom

Doug

Dom  The name Tin Can Alley came from during WW2 the navy moored the destroyers in a row about a mile or so off the beach at least that s what my father told me when I was just a kid  Doug

bluefish69

That's a new story for me but I was born in '45

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Doug

Mike I have a few years on you 1941  My father took me out on the old Marie s out of Neptune  when I was 7 .He later got his own boat and we fished that area all the time. I remember when sheepshead bay had so much traffic their was a cop on a floating island to direct the boat traffic we used to gas up there  Doug

foakes

Quote from: bluefish69 on November 03, 2014, 01:22:23 AM

1945 or 1845, Mike?😳😳😳

Best wishes for the gall bladder surgery tomorrow -- anything you need, let us know!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Doug

Good luck Mike I have gall stone problems myself but I not mentally ready to go thru surgery   Doug

bluefish69

Quote from: foakes on November 03, 2014, 02:41:46 AM
Quote from: bluefish69 on November 03, 2014, 01:22:23 AM

1945 or 1845, Mike?😳😳😳

Best wishes for the gall bladder surgery tomorrow -- anything you need, let us know!

Best,

Fred

Some days it feels like 1845
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.