Senator 114H Outer and inner ring. / convert post reel to half frame.

Started by trond_solem, November 02, 2014, 06:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowdyW

trond_solem

Quote from: RowdyW on November 09, 2014, 02:33:15 AM

trod, the frame is the same width on a H2 H & HL. You can't use the H2 spool unless you also use the H2 end plates. You can put complete H & HL guts in H2 plates. (I've done that).    RUDY

That was useful information. My reel looks quite nice, but I want to stiffen it up a bit since it is going to be used for halibut fishing, and they tend to be big around here.

I have searched a lot for information about this frame thing and found that the 114HL frame spacers will fit. It looks like the 114H2 frame spacers will fit too, but I am not quite sure if the distance between the screw holes are the same. If the 114H4 half frame has the same screw hole spacing, except the holes for the stand, I can possibly find 114H2 inner/outer rings to cover up the unused holes.

Another solution would be to drill and tap the three extra holes on each side just to keep the screws in there. If I could find thraded metal inserts that could be screwed/glued in place, that would be even better.
However, I can't buy a 114H2 frame just to check. I was hoping someone had one and could check if it will fit.

Alto Mare

I'm not sure if you've already looked at this thread, I believe there is some useful information.
Sal
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10270.msg99227#msg99227
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

trond_solem

No. haven't read that thread before. I am reading ssom my eyes are sore and square, but still there is much inforation to go through.

I found two full frames om e-bay, but they are damaged and they still want $70.- plus $42 in shipping. On top of that I have to pay $47.85 in tax and handling fees. That will bring it to a total of $159.85 before I have it in my mail box.
Would I pay that much for a damaged frame? No!

If I could use that 114H2 half frame at $28.- plus $24.75 in shipping, it would be much easyer on my wallet. $28 is below the tax-free limit, so there is no import tax or handling fee on that one. BIG difference! more than $100 less to pay.

RowdyW

Hi trond, I would go with the HL cross bars or look for an HL II aluminum half frame at a reasonable price (not to easy). The weakest part will probably be the H stand, but they are still pretty tough. The H2 half frame only has 4 holes & they line up with the existing holes in your plates. Trying to put threads into a H2 frame is a lost cause. The existing threaded bushings pull out to easily. Its a crummy set up. I hope that helps. Spacer bars are a good setup. Newell reels used that setup for years without problems.    Tightlines,  RUDY   8) 8) 8)

trond_solem

Quote from: RowdyW on November 09, 2014, 06:08:20 PM
Hi trond, I would go with the HL cross bars or look for an HL II aluminum half frame at a reasonable price (not to easy). The weakest part will probably be the H stand, but they are still pretty tough. The H2 half frame only has 4 holes & they line up with the existing holes in your plates. Trying to put threads into a H2 frame is a lost cause. The existing threaded bushings pull out to easily. Its a crummy set up. I hope that helps. Spacer bars are a good setup. Newell reels used that setup for years without problems.    Tightlines,  RUDY   8) 8) 8)

Thanks!
The 114H2 frame is not an option then.
I haven't found any HL II alu half frame yet, but I have found a set of HL spacers at a reasonable price. They will stiffen up the frame quite a bit, so I may go for that option.
BTW, has the 113HLW frame the same probllem with bushngs that pull out too easily? I hope not since I have one of those reels too.

RowdyW

trond, ALL Penn graphite frames are constructed the same way. Weak design in my opinion. They should have stayed with the aluminum frame. I guess the reason was cost. The only problem with them was lack of grease on the screws led to broken screws on removal. They are usually sold with 1 or more broken screws in them. The only other option is install aluminum spacer bars & wait until a used Accurate or Tiburon frame hits the market at a reasonable price. On older Penn reels the screws were chrome plated brass. The newer H2 screws are stainless steel. Either way keep them greased with MARINE grease.     RUDY   8) 8) 8)

trond_solem

I just bought a set of aluminium frame spacers for my 114H.
Reasonale price and reasonable shipping cost.
That takes care of the "problem" for now. I had a look at tiburon frames and they are a bit pricy, but he real problem is that they doesn't ship oveseas, so they day I want to buy a tib frame, I have to ask one of you to buy it for me and ship it to me. Since the 113HLW frame is the weak spot, I may start looking for a aluminium frame to replace the "plastic" frame. I'm in no hurry, but t seems that I have to plan for a replacement sometime in the future.

RowdyW

trond, you can wait for a used one on ebay & maybe make shipping arrangements with the seller. By the way Penn made spacer bars for the 113hlw.    Rudy

foakes

Hi Trond --

Like Rowdy sez, they have made bars for a lot of Penn reels.

These are left over from stripping and upgrading reels to solid aluminum frames -- generally Tiburons.

This year I will strip and upgrade at least 12 Jigmasters -- all I do is wet the drags with Cal's, add a Delrin under gear washer, add a power handle, lube to salt specs, and add the Tib frame.

What is left over serves me well for other reels that need upgrading or repair -- solid bars, handles, and the stand.

When you are ready, if there is something here you might need, we can just send it to you marked as a gift -- you may avoid the VAT, IT, and Customs fees that way.

Just cost you the shipping.

Best Regards,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

trond_solem

Quote from: RowdyW on November 10, 2014, 12:07:40 AM
trond, you can wait for a used one on ebay & maybe make shipping arrangements with the seller. By the way Penn made spacer bars for the 113hlw.    Rudy

I have found spacer bars, but not a reel stand.  BTW, it is said that the reel stand for the 113HLW is a bit weak.
Well, I am in no hurry with that. The half frame is perfecty ok at the moment.
If a used but ok 113H wide alu frame shows up at e-bay, I will try to get it.

trond_solem

Quote from: foakes on November 10, 2014, 12:54:18 AM
Hi Trond --

Like Rowdy sez, they have made bars for a lot of Penn reels.

These are left over from stripping and upgrading reels to solid aluminum frames -- generally Tiburons.

This year I will strip and upgrade at least 12 Jigmasters -- all I do is wet the drags with Cal's, add a Delrin under gear washer, add a power handle, lube to salt specs, and add the Tib frame.

What is left over serves me well for other reels that need upgrading or repair -- solid bars, handles, and the stand.

When you are ready, if there is something here you might need, we can just send it to you marked as a gift -- you may avoid the VAT, IT, and Customs fees that way.

Just cost you the shipping.

Best Regards,

Fred

Thanks. That's great. I can see some wide spacer bars in your picture. I can also spot a half frame, but that is probably a graphite frame like the one I have.
Well, I am in no hurry with this upgrade so I can wait until I either have to do something or a alu frame shows up.