gen 3 spinfisher gear material

Started by basto, October 08, 2014, 11:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

I have been told the main gear in my 6500ss reel  is aluminium. Is this correct? The reason I ask is that I have seen a couple of this model with quite a few miles on them and the gear seems to have minimal wear.
It looks like aluminium, but what kind and is it a mixture with something else?
thanks
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Cone

basto, the 650ss had marine bronze gears in early production reels. Later production 650ss reels were stated to be marine aluminum. The gears look the same in the 6500ss. The description of them does not say what they are made of. These gears can last a long time. It all depends on how you fish it and maintain it. I still like the bronze gears in the earlier 650ss reels. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Shark Hunter

I recently bought a 6500 that has the aluminum main gear. I found a bronze replacement for it.
Its hit or miss with these. I saw in Sal's 9500 tutorial, he had the aluminum one in his pictures. I prefer to go bronze if possible.
I have a 9500, 7500 and 6500 all with bronze gears.
On Scott's website, it said some were made of Naval Brass? I guess that is Bronze. ::)
Life is Good!

basto

Thanks for your replies guys. I see Alan Hawk has an image of a 9500SS Spinfisher on his reels for test page. That would be a great read when he gets to it.
cheers
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n