Casting a Penn international 12vsx or 16vsx

Started by Whino83, September 04, 2017, 09:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whino83

Anyone tried casting the12vsx or 16vsx? I grew up casting a 4/0 Senator and have learned how to sling it as far as I need. I'd be running 40lb mono and throwing 6-8 ounces of lead plus bait. I found a pretty good deal on a used one and I don't want to assume I can cast it if in fact I can't. I know it's not a casting reel but if I can get 3/0-4/0 senator results it'll work for my application (30-40 yard cast, estimating).

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

Your going to need to educate your thumb on your hand that's by the spool. Thumb pressure must be used to slow down the spool as line comes off the reel and when the bait hits the water. A bit more thumb pressure is needed on LD reels as compared to star drag reels as the lever drags have more weight on their spools, so they want to keep spinning even after the line slows.

Rivverrat

I do not own either of these reels. Ive  played around with a 12VSX for a bit.
By your description of what youve done or are doing with a 4/0 you will have no problem learning & doing the same with the 12VSX. I see the Penn 12 VSX as a very capable reel for it's size.  Was going to get one then Penn went & made them better with the new series.

Others I've spoke with say a decent cast can be made with the 16. But understand you are spinning a large, heavy, mass your not going to set any distance records with it

Tiddlerbasher

I have only ever tried to cast a small lever drag reel - an Andros 5 (original series). After servicing - TSI321 for spool bearings - it was way too fast virtually uncontrollable :o
So I put a magnet in the clicker side. If I use a larger size neodymium I can cast 40yds (5oz lead) without really using my thumb. I can't imagine trying to cast a 50 size reel any distance at all I don't think I could get my thumb over the spool ;D
The magnets do help though.

oc1

If I was shopping for a reel to cast with I'd be looking at free spool star drags only.
-steve

Whino83

I'm not worried about my ability to cast it And having to use my thumb. That's how I cast anyway. The first conventional reel I learned how to cast is a penn 9 with a frozen spool tension knob and it didn't have any tension on it. I went from that to a 113H 4/0 senator. That was 20 years ago but I can still cast that senator 75-80 yards with a 6-8 ounce sinker on practice cast off a pier but it's hard to do.

I use casting reels on most of my gear but I still have a need for bigger reel that will get used often but on a day of fishing it will only get casted at most twice an hour (kind of a bait And soak deal). So it's not like I'd be constantly casting it. I just didn't know if they were castable at all as I've never tried. I was going to buy an international trq 300 that would be much more user friendly but the deal might not happen and now my heart is set on an international of some sort, haha.

smnaguwa

Any ulua fisherman with experience using the Penn VSX?

steelfish

any reason to go for those HD reels?

Baja Special is very casteable reel with the free-spool system and its pretty strong, get the Tom antireverser assembly and your set, they are wahoo Bomb casting machines.
if you just find a pretty good deal on a used one I say get it and try it, worst thing is that you need another reel, I have nothing against that  ;)

The Baja Guy

David Hall

I have a 12T that casts wondefully.  It's not even close to original though.  Cal Sheets worked it over pretty good to make it cast well.

josa1

I used a 16VSX with 80 pound line for a few years.  I thought it worked very well.  Had tremendous freespool and a strong drag.  I had to sell it recently, just got the wants for a 16 SEa.

I never did try to cast it with weight though, but, like Alan, I think I could lob a good sized sardine at least 50-60 feet with a 765M Grafighter.

With a little practice I'm sure I could have cast a six ounce sinker a good ways.  I'm not sure about 60-80 yards, that would be a toss.  We're talking goal line to the opponent's 20 yard line here  :o!

josa1

boon

They will never be great casting reels. Heavy duty overbuilt spool plus the drag parts that spin with the spool... too much inertia when you start the cast, and a very very clever thumb to stop it spooling out the mother of all birdsnests when your sinker lands.

Not to say it can't be done; just that it will be tricky.

Something like a Talica or big Andros would be a better option, IMO.

Rivverrat

I'm sure the 12 VSX will do what you want given your description. However is it getting the good deal on this reel whats got yout interest ?  Nothing wrong with that at all. 

If you like the reel for what ever reason, knowing as you stated it's not a true casting reel & your only criteria is that it cast short to mddle far distances I say buy it & enjoy.

But 40 lb. line & 6 - 8 oz. of lead there are so many reels much better suited for this....Jeff