How much to pay for a reel?

Started by sundaytrucka, October 21, 2014, 02:34:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundaytrucka

I am familiar with 4/0 reels and their prices, stock and upgraded, but not familiar with other penn reels.

Somebody I know has a Jigmaster 500 narrowed to 99 size, accurate sideplates and frame, pro gear handle, and clamp hardware. Not sure of the internals, but based on this info, what would be a reasonable price to pay for the reel?

Thank you for any info, Scott
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Marcq

I think it all comes down to the condition of the reel. When I want to find out the value of a reel I go on ebay and compare

Marc..

fIsHsTiiCkS

Something like that goes for anywhere from $150-200 depending on condition. In Addition if its in "collectors condition" it can fetch even more.

foakes

Quote from: Marcq on October 21, 2014, 03:05:02 AM
I think it all comes down to the condition of the reel. When I want to find out the value of a reel I go on ebay and compare

Marc..

What I do may not be scientific -- but it has worked and been fairly accurate for years now.

Do an ebay search for a similar reel --

Go to the left side search filter, and check only "Sold Items"

Pull up the last 10 that have been sold similar to what you want to determine a price for --

Write them all down --

Throw out the top price --

Throw out the lowest price --

Add up the remaining eight and divide by 8 to get the average price paid --

That is your number +/- 10%...

Bear in mind that as a buyer, you pay shipping of generally around $10 --

And the seller pays seller fees --

Of course, We all want to buy an excellent item for a really cheap price -- but this is the real world, and a realistic number to work with.

When working out these numbers, we need to be brutally honest with ourselves -- to determine if there are bargains out there -- or are we wasting our time by bidding too low?

Then after you have this ammunition, keep it to yourself -- and just ask the seller how much he wants for his reel -- and use your own judgement from that point.  If a person sez he doesn't know how much he wants for a reel -- make him an offer of about half of what it is worth.  He will miraculously determine his selling price in about 30 seconds.

Just my opinion...

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

I do the same thing Fred. I go to completed listings to see what they have been going for.
It really depends on how bad you want it. I have been watching the 9500 ss spinners and they are really skyrocketing. Completed listings tells the real story. I picked up a second one for $135 shipped in Excellent shape.
Life is Good!

sundaytrucka

Thank you for the replies. I never thought of checking the sold listings on ebay, great idea Fred.

My friend has it available for $125, good condition, some minor boat rash, but not bad at all. The uglier the better for me. I do not like putting a mark on a new reel, so it makes it a lot easier if the reel is already scratched up and dinged when bought, no remorse with the first drop. I am in no rush to buy, really hoping he drops to $100...

Thanks again guys.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

foakes

Of course, they don't make Accurate sideplates anymore.

If you just added up the cost of the frame, sideplates, and narrow spool -- it would be more than the asking price.

If this is a reel you want -- offer him $100.  If you need to pay $125 -- I wouldn't let $25 stand in the way.

We have all seen a set of sideplates go for crazy money to the right buyer.  I do not have any right now -- but I have sold 500s, 4/0, and 6/0 plates for as high as $275 a pair, as little as 6 years ago.

Just my opinion.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

Quote from: foakes on October 23, 2014, 05:17:04 AM
Of course, they don't make Accurate sideplates anymore.

If you just added up the cost of the frame, sideplates, and narrow spool -- it would be more than the asking price.

If this is a reel you want -- offer him $100.  If you need to pay $125 -- I wouldn't let $25 stand in the way.

We have all seen a set of sideplates go for crazy money to the right buyer.  I do not have any right now -- but I have sold 500s, 4/0, and 6/0 plates for as high as $275 a pair, as little as 6 years ago.

Just my opinion.

Best,

Fred

Now you're making me second guess selling my 4/0 with the topless tib, and accurate side plates, and consider picking up a mate (fully acuratized black 4/0).
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Simon Everett

HOW MUCH for a Jigmaster?   :o

That was my first reel, about 1968 would it have been. Dad bought it for me and I used it for everything from beachcasting to fishing off the boat, just ground fishing and working a Redgill on a flying collar. A funny red colour with quite a narrow spool. I used it for years and didn't realise how good a reel it must have been - I thought it would be worth about £35 - £40 now. I had no idea they were so sought after.

Another one of things I wish I still had then.  ;D