Abu Ambassadeur 5500C Sprint - Corrosion on drag washer

Started by Smols, June 09, 2016, 04:10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smols

I have a newly acquired Abu Ambassadeur 5500C Sprint reel that I opened up to discover a badly corroded metal drag washer. It appears that water was trapped between the metal washer and the drag washer and the outcome is not good. I plan to replace the drag washers with Carbontex and  service the reel. Is there any way to save the metal drag washer by sanding it down to a smooth surface? If so, what is the best procedure to do so? If not, will I be able to find a replacement?

Ruffy

Save yourself the hassle mate, buy the carbontex directly from Dawn and get replacement metal washers from her while you're at it!

Cheers,
Andrew

Smols

thanks for your suggestion. so this is not a drag washer, but a drag pressure plate. I don't think dawn at smoothdrag sells these. I have been looking to see if these are available online somewhere.

Ruffy

Hmmm, here is the schematic for the sprint. It follows the design of the 5500C3 but only has the single drag washer. My first stop would be to call Abu (pure fishing) in your country and see if you can get a new one. Or maybe mike's reel repair.

If that doesn't work and you can't find any NOS, Dawn does sell metal washers for the 5500C3, you could use one and make it work, but only if the sprint and the 5500C3 have the same sized drag diameter. If this ends up being the case then you measure your metal washer (inside diameter, outside diameter, thickness), pop it up here and we can compare and see if this will be an easy fix.

oc1

I'd try knocking the rust off with a file and lapping it on wet/dry sandpaper first. 
-steve

Smols

I hit it with some sand paper and the rusty lumps came right off. I then used some rubbing compound to smooth out the surface. It is not perfect, as the plating material is gone where those rusted areas were and the surface is not perfectly level. I suppose the carbontex washer may wear out sooner than normal, but with some Cal's grease, I think it will be fine for pulling on some calico bass. This reel can really cast a swimbait a long ways. Thanks guys for your thoughts, this site is the best!

Here is a picture of the sprint reel ready to fish and another Abu Ambassadeur that I just brought back to life. I have not fished with an ambassadeur since I was a kid - and I am loving the new toys. They are really nice reels and really fun to fish with.

Quote from: Smols on June 10, 2016, 12:46:20 AM
the surface is not perfectly level.
I suppose the carbontex washer may wear out sooner than normal

If the metal washer is not level you will have less drag and jerkiness.  It really should be replaced. If it is hard to get in your area just call up Jerry at hookless.com. He is a Abu expert and has the part. I understand Calico and Sand Bass are great fighters for their size, you might need all the drag you can get which even with carbontex washers won't compare to modern reels.

Smols

thanks, i contacted Jerry and he had the part i need. worked out perfectly.