vacuum cleaner bearings

Started by alantani, September 09, 2014, 05:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

apparently the bearing packer has other applications!

QuoteI do have a couple of questions for you though as I played more with all the bearings I need to do.  See pictures to help answer questions.

Front View 1. 

Question 1. The bearings shown with rubber seal, I cant seem to pry these seals out, any hints on how to remove the stubborn ones or any hints on a certain tool I should buy to remove the seal?

Question 2. I assume the metal shield can not be removed and this type of bearing cannot be repacked with grease.

Front View 2. 

Question 1. The bearings shown with plastic seal, I cant seem to pry these seals out, any hints on how to remove the stubborn ones or any hints on a certain tool I should buy to remove the seal?  BUT it appears the slots show the metal retainer ring for the bearings below them, so maybe this style can be repacked with grease?

No Picture question 1.  Can I get you permission to create a video using your packers to show other vacuum collectors how to repack there bearings?  Maybe it will drive enough interest for others to want to purchase your packer?

No Picture question 2.  If I would happen to get a lot of interest from other collectors, is there any chance you would make a packer that would be small enough and large enough to do all the bearing sizes collectors use?  I ask this as I assume not many collectors would drop $ to buy the brass style and the delron style but maybe I am wrong about that...  But when the cost of bearings are $10 each and a vacuum has a front and rear bearing, that is $20 in bearings for the older machines, and the newer machine bearings are only $5 each and the newer ones have a front and rear bearing so those are $10 total for a newer machine.  So it wouldn't take long to get the investment back.

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

hi, mike.  i did some google searches.  it looks like some of these bearings have a race that is made of a thermoplastic material, rather than metal. what you are looking at on the top row of bearings is actually the back side of the race.  i have seen that in some cheaper bearings used in fishing reels.  they work ok for slow, heavy load, applications. 

front view 2 might be the same situation.  i think you just have a funnly looking shield, but what you might be looking at might actually be the race.  either way, all the other plain steel metal shields are all the "press in" types.  to remove them, you have to dig in with a sharp pointed tool. 

but mike, you don't have to remove the shields.  that is the whole point of the bearing packer.  stick the bearing in and start pumping the grease gun.  grease is completely forced through the bearing, from one side to the other.  you want to leave the shields on anyway.  that way the shields will hold in the grease.  and as far as greases go, you are looking at a high speed application, not like low speed low temp applications in fishing reels. you need a high speed/high temp grease.  i believe that a high temp automotive bearing grease would work best for what you do. 

as far as a video, go for it!  please send me a link!!!!! 

alan

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rancanfish

Great reply Alan.  He knew who to turn to.

Did you let him know you are certified in dishwasher bearings too?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.