charter special tr 1000/2000

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Sounds like your pinion bearing needs to be replaced.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

fishy76

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 02, 2013, 07:45:51 AM

Thanks Bryan,

Cleaned up the pinion with a file (is quite worn), and removed one of the thrust washers from the left bellivilles area and the reel now spins for about 3 seconds in free spool and the crank effort is pretty much constant across the drag settings.  Do you have a clue why the left plate says 3 ball bearings when there's 4?

Pinions like the click gear are out of stock at Shumano.

Think I'm ready for Chesapeake Cows in December.   

Thanks for your reply,                                  Fishy76

fishy76

Hey Bryan,

While I got your attention, I really like the crank handle from the TLD 15 on my charter specials in addition to the low cost as compared to other choices.  Are there other economical choices that might function better?

Fishy76

Bryan Young

I'm sure there are others, but none that I have fished with.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

fishy76

Quote from: mrbrklyn on August 03, 2013, 06:33:45 PM
Http://images.mrbrklyn.com/marilyn_jean_fishing/IMG_2860.JPG?width=1600

Hmmm, the link did work at this end, but needed some editing?  Thanks for the view.

Fishy76

ossipeter

Hello Alan,
is this a Tiger rod?
10-50lbs?
Greets from Bavaria

fishy76

Hey Bryan,

Still having problems on a couple of reels that moving the lever to the strike position increases the crank effort too much.  Tried exchanging the pinion from one reel that functions OK, but the high crank effort remains.  I replaced the right side plate spool bearing, but haven't changed the bearings on the right spool or the left spool.  I'm wondering if the endo pressure on the bearings as the drag increases could cause my problem?  Something has to be dragging that is causing the problem. 

I'm at a loss and don't know what to try next.  Do you have any more ideas?

Fishy76

fishy76

Quote from: mrbrklyn on August 05, 2013, 10:17:08 AM

Hey Mrbrklyn,

I'll take a shot at an answer as I want to let me spools run the planers out without free spool that would backlash due to the wave action.  The drag washer is forced against the titanium drag plate the moment the lever is moved off free spool.  Unless the drag is set quite high at strike position, incremental movement of the lever results in spool  tension.  With Alan's thicker bellevilles on the left of the spool, there might not be much adjustment as the drag ramps up more quickly.  I returned the bellevilles to the originals while trying to get the crank effort to be more normal.  Changed the left and right spool bearings without a reduction in crank effort.  Now wondering if the pinion guard might be the problem.  Nope, changed the pinion guard and the high crank effort remains.  The effort seems to decrease as the lever is moved from the strike position to the full drag position. 

Still wondering why!

Fishy76

Bryan Young

Fishy, how much drag are you using on these reels?  That could be the problem with you damaging the pinion bearing, and possibly the left side spool bearing.

Are you exceeding 13# at strike?

ossipeter

@mrbrklyn
I asked for this rod in 10/50lbs. http://www.tackledirect.com/ugstiktigrod.html  Your link is funny but for me a little bit strange. I come from Germany and dont know what you are thinking!
Greets from Bavaria

fishy76

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 05, 2013, 03:22:30 PM
Fishy, how much drag are you using on these reels?  That could be the problem with you damaging the pinion bearing, and possibly the left side spool bearing.

Are you exceeding 13# at strike?

Hi Bryan,

Not even close to 13#s.  This is happening as soon as the drag tension engages the drag washer to move the spool with cranking.  I didn't change out the pinion or right spool bearing, thinking they weren't involved.  When I fish with these reels in December, I'll set the drag at strike at 5#s by using a weight and pulling the line through the guides.  My only problem is that setting the drag at the room temperature lets the drag change significantly at 40 degrees on the water.  Then, the fishing is pretty much ended when the water temperature drops below 45 degrees, though some say I don't know nuttin'.

I'll try changing out the pinion bearing and the right spool bearing.

Fishy76

Bryan Young

I'd change the pinion bearing (right sideplate bearing) then the left spool bearing.

fishy76

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 05, 2013, 11:28:13 PM
I'd change the pinion bearing (right sideplate bearing) then the left spool bearing.

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for bearing with me, :), but I finally got to what the reel problem was.  Alan mentioned in his tutorial that the graphite frame swells or what ever and the spool rubs on the frame.  I saw one rub mark on the right spool end and filed the frame - no improvement.  Then, I did the left and WOW, what a difference.  Will touch the left again to be sure temp doesn't return the problem.  Unlike Alan's example, there were no drag marks on the spool ends to tell me that this might be the problem.  Only one small line on the right spool end to indicate a problem. 

Thanks for you suggestions,

Fishy76

fishy76

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 05, 2013, 11:28:13 PM

Hi Bryan,

Decided to exchange the spool with pinion, etc. to another reel and I transferred the problem.  So, it's not related to frame dragging on the spool.  The existing problem is that as soon as the lever engages the drag, the reel effort is OK.  As it's advanced to the strike position, the crank effort is dramatically increased.  Then as the lever is advanced to the full drag position, the crank effort is diminished to the early effort as the with the engagement of the lever.  Not sure how the pinion gear can cause this.  I may exchange the pinion gears between the tow reels and see if the problem transfers too. 

I had a weird thought that the shaft may have been bent.  The left end has a long space from the end cap to the right pinion bearing.  Well, it's obvious that I don't reallly know nuttin'.  Maybe Alan can think of a cause too.

Fishy76

Bryan Young

Last thought without seeing the reel would be the cross pin in the left side plate.  does the shaft and cross pin move in and out of the frame freely?  Frames do swell, and this could be a contributory culprit.