Abu/Daiwa Freespool trip

Started by jaypeegee, October 07, 2014, 12:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaypeegee

Hi

I have a Daiwa 7HT

It has a small handle which I wish to replace
The issue is that the free spool disengagement which is triggered by a revolution of the handle occurs undesirably when casting and the handle has enough weight or is unbalanced and spins inadvertently with the cast.

my thought to avoid this is replacing the Clutch trip plate springs (part 20 142-8503) with stronger springs to allow the use of a different handle.

What are the chances of damaging the set plate due to the increased tension these would provide?
If none, what is the likely success of this as an option?

Thanks

johndtuttle

Quote from: jaypeegee on October 07, 2014, 12:34:14 AM
Hi

I have a Daiwa 7HT

It has a small handle which I wish to replace
The issue is that the free spool disengagement which is triggered by a revolution of the handle occurs undesirably when casting and the handle has enough weight or is unbalanced and spins inadvertently with the cast.

my thought to avoid this is replacing the Clutch trip plate springs (part 20 142-8503) with stronger springs to allow the use of a different handle.

What are the chances of damaging the set plate due to the increased tension these would provide?
If none, what is the likely success of this as an option?

Thanks

That's a really interesting solution you have there and you just may be blazing a new trail as it were. :)

I've been getting into baitcasters recently and hadn't heard of this problem before I came across the power handle options that many of the makers are providing for their heaviest models. It was a problem for one maker and they had to go back to the drawing board to perfect their own solution.

It would be interesting to see if it would work. My concern is that the force needed to pop the reel out of gear would increase and it generally is a little tougher on that side of the lever anyways.  What may be a better option to consider is a larger paddle handle (because they are balanced) from one of the bigger reels. It may fit or be modded to fit and give you the cranking power you need.

jaypeegee

Hi John

This reel is for throwing lures and I would rather a Knob than a paddle
If not possible then I will look to a paddle solution.
Weight/Balance thoughts have me thinking of a carbon fibre arm and an Eva knob with a custom balance weight at the other end to ensure it is balanced.
Don't wish to spend a million dollars on this tho...

VW

Is the 7HT much larger than Ambassadeur/Millionaire reels?  I use Gator Grip handles on my Ambass. 5000s  Two large fairly soft rubber knobs.  They are well balanced and have never had a problem with handle turning and tripping the free spool.   

http://gatorgrip.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7

The model at the bottom of the list is longer than the others if you are wanting more power.

jaypeegee

Cheers VW

I will look at that site if I establish that the springs are a no go.
Appreciate the link, Could be that I get one and use a light Eva knob
I use the 7ht for lure throwing as stated and I cannot hold a paddle except with a thumb/forefinger which gets uncomfortable very quickly
The 7ht accepts 5500/6500 Abu handles from what I have read.

Fish-aholic

The 7ht has a two step tripping mechanism for spool engagement to help stop the scenario you're experiencing (spool reengaging during a cast). There has to be a considerable amount of momentum placed on the handle for that occurrence ???

As you're casting lures, I expect you're not taking much notice of where the paddle handle is positioned before executing your casts? What can help, before taking the reel out of gear, is to have the paddle/power handle positioned parallel to the reel foot. This will help relieve any forward momentum of the handle during casting.

If you're still wanting to switch over to a power handle, a pinion support should be installed to relieve any play the drive shaft invariably has through it's design. Power handle placed on 7ht's will increase the amount of play and could cause premature wear of the gears through misalignment.

Do a search for "envoy power handle", it's a counter balanced eva power handle that is relatively cheap. You will probably need a handle nut retaining plate and screw for it, but with the added parts, will cost less than an Abu type power handle.  ;)       

jaypeegee

Quote from: Fish-aholic on October 12, 2014, 03:18:19 PM
The 7ht has a two step tripping mechanism for spool engagement to help stop the scenario you're experiencing (spool reengaging during a cast). There has to be a considerable amount of momentum placed on the handle for that occurrence ???

As you're casting lures, I expect you're not taking much notice of where the paddle handle is positioned before executing your casts? What can help, before taking the reel out of gear, is to have the paddle/power handle positioned parallel to the reel foot. This will help relieve any forward momentum of the handle during casting.

If you're still wanting to switch over to a power handle, a pinion support should be installed to relieve any play the drive shaft invariably has through it's design. Power handle placed on 7ht's will increase the amount of play and could cause premature wear of the gears through misalignment.

Do a search for "envoy power handle", it's a counter balanced eva power handle that is relatively cheap. You will probably need a handle nut retaining plate and screw for it, but with the added parts, will cost less than an Abu type power handle.  ;)       

Hi.
The two step engaging mechanism is governed by the spring tension as far as I can tell which is why I asked. The reel I have is tired/old - It may be the handles I have are too poorly balanced for the spring tension or the springs are near EOL. I use the reel with a Sonik SK4 uptider and an SK4 Beach caster and either I throw hard or have poor casting form. :-) Either way - Lots of force to trip the handle

I made a pinion support out of a busted SL20SH drive shaft. Hard to understand how the extra movement is acceptable without one.

The envoy handle does look good. The knob not so much. The tronix mag system is interesting though.

Fish-aholic

Quote from: jaypeegee on October 20, 2014, 08:24:13 AM
Hi.
The two step engaging mechanism is governed by the spring tension as far as I can tell which is why I asked. The reel I have is tired/old - It may be the handles I have are too poorly balanced for the spring tension or the springs are near EOL. I use the reel with a Sonik SK4 uptider and an SK4 Beach caster and either I throw hard or have poor casting form. :-) Either way - Lots of force to trip the handle

I made a pinion support out of a busted SL20SH drive shaft. Hard to understand how the extra movement is acceptable without one.

The envoy handle does look good. The knob not so much. The tronix mag system is interesting though.

What handles have you got on your 7ht? The stock double paddle handles are already well balanced and shouldn't be a problem.

If you've replaced the stock handle over to a power handle, then you will benefit taking into consideration the handle arm position before executing a cast will help as suggested in my first response - second paragraph.

I know people who were tournament casting with them and have no problems with premature spool engagement, even with Abu styled power handles attached.

jaypeegee

Hi

I have the 6RM "Powerhandle" on it not the paddle style . The reel was bought as a rescue mission reel and it came with this on it.
The knob on the handle is designed for ants.
I tried an Abu handle on it but irrespective of pointing the knob to the tip or butt (parallel with the reel foot) it engaged
Hence the spring question.

Appreciate the replies  :)

Fish-aholic

The 6RM power handle is quite weighty for that model in all fairness. An elastic band placed over the free spool button will keep it pressed in till you roll it off to retrieve. A pain if you're lure fishing with it though.  :-\

It's definitely a balanced handle issue you're having issues with rather than the springs.

Hopefully you can get a satisfactory handle for your needs.

jaypeegee

Hi

The 6RM handle is fine and doesn't trip the springs. but is uncomfortable for retrieve

When I have tried other handles is when I have experienced the issue