talica 12 II loosing freespool

Started by dabro70, October 22, 2014, 08:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dabro70

I have a talica 12 II Speed I recently stripped for service, After reassembly I noticed that if I tightened the drag up really tight the freespool got tighter when the lever was backed off to free. just wondering if this is normal or if I have something wrong. Any help appreciated.

handi2

That is very typical for lever drag reels. You are setting the drag over the limits of the reel. Back off the pre set dial and fish it within the drag specs of the reel. This applies is everything was installed correctly and nothing is worn. I'm sure you did it right. Is the drag what it used to be as before servicing?
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

dabro70

Thanks for your reply. The reel is virtually new, its only been on one trip and when I got back I stripped it to clean it. I am pretty confident everything went back together properly but hadn't noticed the lack of freespool before and not having had a lever drag before wasn't sure if this was normal. It's only as you said when I set the preset knob for over about 10Kg at strike. Thanks again for your help. Any tips for setting up the drag would also be appreciated. Spooled with 65Lb fins braid. Use it bottom bashing and trolling around offshore reefs in Queensland Australia

handi2

I use a spring scale to check the drags on my trolling reels. Drags are tested with the reel on the rod and the line attached to the scale mounted in a vise. Or you can have someone hold the scale and run thru the yard..!

For bottom fishing it's not as important. Just remember not to turn the pre set dial when fishing. Only turn it with the lever in freespool.

The main cause of bearing failure is fishing with the drag tighter than the specs of the reel. Not the line..
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

dabro70

Yep. I've got a spring scale so I'll use it. Had a look in the users manual and it give you some guidelines there. Thanks for the advice. David Brown