GOT IT DONE

Started by HOLEINTHEWATER, October 26, 2014, 02:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOLEINTHEWATER

READY TO GO CATCH A BIG FLATHEAD CATFISH.

foakes

Fantastic work, Dave!

That doesn't even seem like the same reel --

Are you sure you didn't switch out a new one just to trick us?

IMO, an old Squidder is one of the most capable reels in the Penn line.

Many folks are using spinning reels for surf fishing today -- but this is one of the reels that wrote the book on surf fishing.  Simple, dependable, and strong.  Works well in a boat also.

Good bearings, reversible spool gear engagement, wide open spool for thumbing line retrieve, double rings, quick release side plate and spool, low profile.

Yes, these can be hot-rodded with frames, gears, handles, narrowing, dogs, sleeves, and more -- but they are extremely strong and durable with just a Washer upgrade -- Greased CF, SS, and Delrin under gear.

And they look good.

Again, beautiful job, Dave.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

DaBigOno

Good job Dave,

Don't forget to post a pick of the flathead!
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

HOLEINTHEWATER

IS THERE SOME WAY TO FIND OUT HOW OLD THE REEL IS ? I SEE IT HAS BEEN MADE SENSE 1941. BUDDY SAYS HE HAS HAD IT FOR MAYBE 30 YEARS AND GOT IT FROM HIS FATHER.

foakes

Just my guess would be 70s to 80s.

Earliest Squidders had black sideplates, later went to dark maroon, then red like yours, then back to black recently.

Some folks say you can tell by the handle color a certain era -- while that is true up to a point -- it is not a hard and fast rule.  Earliest handles up through the 50s had the more pointed torpedo handle grips.  Later switched to the more rounded hot dog grips.  Colors would vary from amber, white, green, light green, yellow, black, red, maroon, and other slightly marbled mixtures.  Always fun when the resin casting workers at Penn would make up some different combinations just to mix things up with a little variety -- or for their own use.

Yours has the solid aluminum spool, and the Penn factory upgraded power handle -- which was not on the reel originally.

There are many ways to switch parts around on these reels -- but generally a typical fisherman would not switch out the sideplates -- just spools, handles, etc..

There are other experts on this Board who may get us closer on a date -- but that is my wild guess.

Penn generally kept their reels the same for a decade or so before each change.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

still a beautiful reel!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

The info that I have for the red plates: plastic spool mid 60's, metal spool mid 70's aluminum spool and stainless spool mid 80's. I'm guessing your reel is from the 80's, but as Fred mentioned, parts could have been swapped :-\ .
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.