Is this new? Did I miss something?

Started by UKChris, January 29, 2015, 02:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKChris

Is this a new board on the site or is this the first time I've ventured down the board listings so far? Anyway, it is very welcome. I'll be back  ;)

Some of my tackle is vintage (I bought it new!) but in all seriousness I have recently been reading books by Zane Grey and also some books on the tunny fishing in the UK back in the 1930's. It has fostered my interest in those old sets of heavy gear and a new appreciation of todays great tackle too  :)

I have recently visited the Hardy museum in Alnwick, Northumberland (a 'must visit' if you are in that part of the UK) and realised that I have some genuine 72-thread tunny line as well as a dozen original Hardy tunny hooks from that era. OK, so not as impressive as a Fortuna reel or Hardy Saltwater rod but it's a start.

Otherwise my 'vintage' gear is basically Penn reels from the 1960s and a selection of old hooks by Mustad, Pfleuger etc from about the same time or earlier.

One day I'll document how Mustad has changed the numbering of it big game hooks if I ever get to the bottom of it.

Cheers,

foakes

No, you are right Chris --

Vintage Offshore Tackle is new with its own spot on the Alan Tani site.

But the owner, Randy Pauly, is a longtime friend of this site, and of Alan.

Randy's experience runs deep with the solid vintage products we all appreciate.

Randy has items that are very hard to obtain anywhere else.  And he is an expert when it comes to many of the aspects about offshore fishing tackle -- that we all enjoy.  One can talk to Randy, and his business ethics and knowledge are impeccable.

Great addition to the site --

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

UKChris

Thanks Fred,

I've just been marvelling at your reconstruction marathon from the great 'bin of bits' - lovely stuff.

I guess you all know of the site that exhibits big game reels from yesteryear 'as big as your head' but there is also a site looking at old hooks that was set up by Ron Lucas.

I mentioned tunny fishing (it's what we called bluefin back then in the UK) and I recall once seeing a photo of a guy lifting his daughter clear off the ground as she hangs from the tip of his tunny rod. I imagine it was around 1930-35. Anyone know whether that photo is still around anywhere as I'd love to print it out.

Cheers

foakes

Hooks --

I should go through mine someday, someone may be interested in them.

Got many, many boxes of new old hooks -- still in their original cardboard matchbook type boxes, wrapped in wax or oil paper.  Lot of brands I have never heard of -- mostly European, like Allcocks, Mustad, and a lot from Scotland, and the Scandinavian countries.  About 100 to a box.  Nice graphics.  Probably 60 or more years old?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

UKChris

Pity you are so far away or I'd volunteer to help as I collect them.

I started when I first went shark fishing in the mid 1960s and bought a shark hook as a souvenir (as I couldn't have the hook I actually caught my shark on). I still have that 11/0 Sea Master 7699 of course.

Then I started collecting examples of the many sizes, styles and finishes of what might be loosely termed 'big game' hooks. Basically, anything the size of a business card or bigger, right up to my 6" Mustad shark hook with the chain.

I guess I have quite a few now, certainly well over 100 and perhaps even 100s - all different, for all the big fish of the world.

foakes

You should post pictures, Chris --

That makes a great display.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

alantani

Quote from: UKChris on January 29, 2015, 02:25:02 PM

Is this a new board on the site or is this the first time I've ventured down the board listings so far? Anyway, it is very welcome. I'll be back  ;)

see, this is what happens when you miss staff meeting!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

UKChris

I know but I'm not so good with the camera, even in 'dead easy' mode.
But you give me an idea...

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: UKChris on February 02, 2015, 05:53:54 PM
Pity you are so far away or I'd volunteer to help as I collect them.

I started when I first went shark fishing in the mid 1960s and bought a shark hook as a souvenir (as I couldn't have the hook I actually caught my shark on). I still have that 11/0 Sea Master 7699 of course.

Then I started collecting examples of the many sizes, styles and finishes of what might be loosely termed 'big game' hooks. Basically, anything the size of a business card or bigger, right up to my 6" Mustad shark hook with the chain.

I guess I have quite a few now, certainly well over 100 and perhaps even 100s - all different, for all the big fish of the world.

Thanks for posting on our forum Chris.  Here is a Hardy and Zane Grey related item from the Commonwealth that you might enjoy seeing.  It is a 1930's Ted Bush Super Marlin, which is anAustralian copy of the Hardy Zane Grey 16/0 reel. I recently sold to the proprietor of the "Reels As Big As Your Head" website.

Thanks again,

Randy

Normslanding

Tightlines667

Now that is pretty cool!
I think I saw a similar model at the IGFA hall of fame.  That piece belongs in a museum.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

UKChris

Oh that's lovely - thank you!

I went to Auckland in 2013 and called in to the maritime museum on the harbour front (of course) before working my way round to the tackle shops further back along the waterfront. Whilst there I popped in to the mock-up of a 'bach' or bachelor's beach hut and in the hut was a cabinet and in the cabinet (sounds like a long story..) was one of those! I don't know if they know what they have in that cabinet...

Amazing what turns up...

Edit to add: Sorry, I should have said the one in Auckland was a Hardy Zane Grey, all the way from the UK