SOMETHING TO PONDER ABOUT

Started by Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B, April 11, 2014, 02:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MFB

Any of the Daiwa Sealine H series reels with handle grip & drag upgrades.

Rgds

Mark 
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: floating doc on April 13, 2014, 03:30:21 AM
Definitely a sleeper. Other than the evo, no one expects much from a Mitsubishi. I have a first generation ralliart wagon, btw.

Doc, search Brent Rau on youtube. At the height of import drag racing his turboed 4G63 4 banger was the 1st(4 cylinder) to break into the 1/4 mile 6 second club...

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: doradoben on April 13, 2014, 04:15:25 AM
I don't view any of the newer reels as "sleepers"...

as a gear head, most probably for most gear heads, a "sleeper" now a days is any automobile that's externally stock looking (sometimes trash looking) but internally have been worked on. i think of a "sleeper" reel as such, here's a link about the term "sleeper's" origin, according to wikipedia;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeper_(car)

Shark Hunter

When I was in High School. A Buddy of mine had a Cutlass that looked totally stock. It had a 454 Big Block under the Hood! ;)
My Sleeper Reels are My 114HLW's and 9/0 with the Hex Gears that can pull 50lbs of Drag.
Life is Good!

erikpowell

...and pull 50lbs of drag without imploding or exploding!
I'd say those are sleepers for sure.  :D

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

nice! 454 big block, maybe one day a caddy big block in a GM pick-up...almost all my reels have been tweaked in one way or another but not all are "sleepers". ;) :)

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

skrilla

Older Penn with Ctex drags, 5 stack, SS guts and with mismatched colored sideplates and Newell kit with the paint falling off. Even better paired up with a Calstar Graphiter but coated in factory "tan" to make it look like the glass blanks.  ;D

Sudsy

And not one mention of the Penn Squidder ?
I believer there were more aftermarket parts made for that reel then for any other in history, Accurate, Newell, Tiburon.........

Guys have done knobby mags, static mags, custom bearings........

Here's one I did years ago. Built a 146 narrow frame using a Penn aluminum spool (I actually like it more then the Newell spool), Accurate frame and handle and a static mag out of a hard drive magnet for throwing 8 n bait.

Sold it a few years ago - that was a mistake

crackerman

Quote from: ML B on April 12, 2014, 12:07:36 AM
Doc,

it was a 1st yr 2nd gen mitsubishi eclipse gsx...
I had even more of of a sleeper, a deathtrap 89 dodge colt gtturbo, one year made. With a eclipse gsx engine and work done. It was scary fast. (Plus i owned several eclipses, talons and lasers)

That being said, stick with the jap reels
Daiwas sealine series offers aluminum frames, drag upgrades from bryan, the only thing missing is a stainless gear sleeve. All in a factory package.

Sudsy

The 200 Surfmaster is also a great reel for modifying.

Here's a set I'm working on now, going from:
A standard 200

to a 200 with Newell base, spool, bars, and bushings,

to a 100 narrow with the Newell base (still looking for bars), Newell Bushings, Penn Powerhandle, and a Penn aluminum spool

To a 150, (the hard to find parts for) medium size. Here's a surprise - this red Accurate frame ONLY works with the Accurate spool, which I've been looking for with no luck for pushing 10 years. To make it work with the Penn aluminum spool I had a machinist friend make a U shaped shim on his CNC machine - the silver bit on the right side between the red frame and the sideplate.

bluefish69

Sudsy

I can help with the Bushings if you need them. Sorry they can't be free $10 would be nice.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Sudsy

Bushings ??

Do you mean Newell Bars for the 100 ?? (I hope !)

bluefish69

No not the bars but the Brown Bushings that the spool rides in. If I had the Bars you couldn't get them for that price.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Sudsy

Yeah, I was gunna say !
I'd take every set you had all day long !!