Previous topic - Next topic

What's the best bet for upgrades on 501 being fished for striped bass/others

Tiburon frame w/ ht 100
4 (80%)
Full SS internals  etc
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Bill01945

I am looking to upgrade my JM 501 but keep it simple and cost reasonable. I was thinking of getting a tiburon frame, power handle, ht 100's, SS gear sleeve for start. I am definitely a tinkerer and I think it would be cool to have something that not many young guys have. I know there's a lot you can do to beef this reel up but cost can be upwards of $200-$300 or more. I am using this from a kayak and fishing for striped bass and blues so I'd like to have a reliable, castable(or somewhat), and strong reel without breaking the bank too much. I know there's the full SS internals and double dogged stuff with carbontex drags and 5:1 gears but is it necessary for the type of fishing I'm doin. I'm leaning towards not likely but just wondering what some guys think. Please let me know. Also the side plates on my 501 are a dark maroon almost brownish color. I've seen the black, red and maroon colors but not mine. Not sure if it's sun damaged or older or what. Please let me know why this is. Thanks

fIsHsTiiCkS

When it comes to a lot of these upgrades, it really depends on your fishing needs. May I ask what pound test line you plan on using?

Bill01945

Can the tiburon spools handle 30-50lb braid with mono backing or is that not recommended?  if not ill go with 30-40lb mono

foakes

I was thinking of getting a tiburon frame, power handle, ht 100's, SS gear sleeve for start.

That is what I would do also -- except add a Delrin under gear washer -- then you are gold.

I have always gone with 30-40 mono -- Big Game or equivalent.  Lot less expensive then braid.  And if something happens to the line -- haven't lost a lot of $$$.  That is just my opinion.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

fIsHsTiiCkS

The tiburon spools can handle braid very well. If you are going to use a mono top shot then I would probably just go straight mono. Now if you are using flouro or need more line capacity, then braid is the route to go.

With your needs in mind, the upgrades I would suggest are:

-tib frame
- I would go carbontex drag kit from dawn instead of the ht-100. It runs about $10. Just a preference
- SS gear sleeve
- if you are only using 30# then I would just opt for a steel main gear instead of the brass. The steel gear should be fine about to 10lb of drag(Also cost effective). Anything more and I would looking into the SS gear set.
- ss dog (as the brass one will not fair well with the SS sleeve) only about $3.50
- Black Pearl custom sleeve spacer $3.50
- Also, SS yoke $4 (this is more of a preference, but if you are already placing an order with Black Pearl for the spacer, I would get the yoke as well.

This could run you all of about $50 + a tiburon frame (cost vary on where you get it) and will turn the reel into a beast. Post the end result of your upgrades. We always love to see them!

Bill01945

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on January 16, 2015, 04:58:01 AM
The tiburon spools can handle braid very well. If you are going to use a mono top shot then I would probably just go straight mono. Now if you are using flouro or need more line capacity, then braid is the route to go.

-tib frame
- I would go carbontex drag kit from dawn instead of the ht-100. It runs about $10. Just a preference
- SS gear sleeve
- if you are only using 30# then I would just opt for a steel main gear instead of the brass. The steel gear should be fine about to 10lb of drag(Also cost effective). Anything more and I would looking into the SS gear set.
- ss dog (as the brass one will not fair well with the SS sleeve) only about $3.50
- Also, SS yoke $4 (this is more of a preference, but if you are already placing an order with Black Pearl for the spacer, I would get the yoke as well.

This could run you all of about $50 + a tiburon frame (cost vary on where you get it) and will turn the reel into a beast. Post the end result of your upgrades. We always love to see them!

Thanks fishsticks!  This is a good guideline to go from and I think $50 is reasonable and I could always go with a full SS option in the future. The reel does have a steel main gear  so I may stick with that for now and see how it plays out.   I have a tib frame n spool on the way which I thought was a good deal. If I were to go with Bryan's 5+1 kit then I should go for all the SS internals and double dog. Correct?  What's the best place to source these parts. It seems alan may have his hands full so is there another option or just wait and go through him? I will post the upgrades as well

Keta

For me in order,
#1, SS gearsleeve and dog (dogs)
#2 Steel gears
#3 Larger handle arm (a 24-49 works well)
#4 CF drag upgrade or 5+1 (or 4+delrin)
#5  Newell base and solid cross bars or one piece base (any make) 

#6 SS double dog bridge plate, SS internals and SS HS gear set.  (I have one with HS gears and one stock)

1-4 are "required", 5 and 6 are nice.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Bill01945 on January 16, 2015, 03:45:30 PM
Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on January 16, 2015, 04:58:01 AM

-tib frame
- SS gear sleeve

Thanks fishsticks!  This is a good guideline to go from and I think $50 is reasonable and I could always go with a full SS option in the future. The reel does have a steel main gear  so I may stick with that for now and see how it plays out.   I have a tib frame n spool on the way which I thought was a good deal. If I were to go with Bryan's 5+1 kit then I should go for all the SS internals and double dog. Correct?  What's the best place to source these parts. It seems alan may have his hands full so is there another option or just wait and go through him? I will post the upgrades as well

When it comes to Bryan's 5+1 stack, (which I have 4 reels with them) it's all about what kind of drag you are looking into using. At 10#, everything I stated before will work perfect. Also, when I said carbontex I mean the washers Dawn at smooth drag has that just are a exact replacement for the stock washers.

Now if moving about the range of drag usage then the 5+1 stack is what you want. With that you will need stronger internals, so yes then get all the other SS upgrades. Then it gets pricey though.