Jigmaster 501 or Senator 1/0?

Started by Padre, January 17, 2015, 04:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Padre

I'm finding myself more and more drawn to these older model Penn reels for our fishing here, mostly inshore and nearshore - sheepshead, reds, jacks maybe - from a kayak. I read in an older post that the 591 was Alan's rec for kayak fishing. Is that still the one?

What would the main differences be between the Senator 1/0 and the 501? Sorry if that should be obvious; still new to these reels.

Thanks!

akfish

The 501 has a 4:1 gear ratio; the 1/0 has a 2.8:1 gear ratio I believe. The 501 also has larger drag washers. The 1/0 is a neat little reel, but I'd much rather fish the 501.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Padre

Didn't realize the 1/0 was only 2.8:1. That alone settles the question for me. Thanks!

Alto Mare

If I remember correctly, the 1/0 has the same gears as a Squidder 5-60 main & 13-140 pinion, giving it a 3.3:1 ratio. The 1/0 will retrieve more line than the Squidder, due to the larger spool. Even though the main gears is a little smaller than the Jigmaster's, I believe they're just as strong, also, the 1/0 has rings on the plates. They are both good reels, the Jigmaster has a lot more upgrades, it is almost fully converted to stainless steel, except the spool, stand and of course the plates, but slowly getting there.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

akfish

Mysticparts.com lists the 1/0 as having a 3:1 gear ratio, so I was a little slow. I think the 1/0 has a smaller diameter spool than the 501 as well so the retrieve rate is quite a bit sower. But the 1/0 is neat and plenty big enough give the diameter of modern line.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Alto Mare

No Bill, the 1/0 shares the same spool as the 501. MysticParts.com has it wrong, the same gears don't give different results. :-\

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Doug

Listen to Sal ,he has done a lot of work toward improving the 501 for the members on this board Both are good reels but the 501 is a lot more versatile . and the 501 and 1/0 use the same spools   Doug

fIsHsTiiCkS

That depends on your needs. The 501 has little more drag and has a higher speed of retrieve.   But the 1/0 built like this http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12080.0 is very strong and a great reel for flyling bait as the 3.3:1 gear ratio is ideal.

I have both and love them each for different reasons. Great reels, either one you can't go wrong!