259 long beach deluxe or live bait caster

Started by txangler81, January 15, 2015, 05:28:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

txangler81

looking at ebay I noticed there are two different long beach 259s. The long beach deluxe looks narrower and has a 3rd bar on both sides of the frame. the live bait caster looks like a jigmaster with outer chrome rings. It has 2 bars on each side of the frame and looks wider. can anyone explain this to me thanks.

Superhook

The #259 is a Long Beach Live Bait Caster .It was made in only one size and could be considered the forerunner to the Jigmaster 500.

The Long Beach DeLuxe was made in three sizes DL60, DL65 & DL66  and were the forerunner to the 1/0 , 2/0 & 3/0 Senators.

Mike's book goes into detail of these reels.

txangler81

Ok I guess I am a little confused Scott's has them listed like they are the same real and looking on ebay they are definitely not but all the parts on there say 259 long beach deluxe which I know doesn't really mean anything. like I said just a little confused

George4741

I think I see what you mean.  There is a Long Beach Deluxe on ebay for $150.  It looks very similar to Senator 2/0.  I'm unable to read the info on the sideplates, but It must be a very rare model.  It isn't the same as a 259, as the 259 has a smaller diameter.  Maybe one of the very knowledgeable Penn collectors will chime in on this.
viurem lliures o morirem

txangler81

Look at Scott ' s website its using 259 for both just like the parts that are on ebay

Superhook

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Penn259.aspx
Scotts have listed a #259 Long Beach live Bait Caster as a DeLuxe which is an incorrect heading.

There could be some parts that are common but the spools definitely are not.

There was only ever one size #259 ....called a Long Beach Live Bait Caster

There were 3 different "Long Beach DeLuxe" reels . All had 3 &1/4" dia. side plates They changed in spool widths.

The DeLuxe reels first apeared in 1937 and gone in 1942 . Not that many about so Scotts may not even know about them.  I'll find the early catalogs and photo and post the pages.

Superhook

Superhook

Superhook

DeLuxe DL66. The widest of the trio.

#259 on the left and the DL66 on the right. Same widths but the DL66 is a bit larger in diameter.

Here you can see that head plates are different to each other as well as logo.

The #259 has 4 posts and the DL's all have 6 posts

4 bolt stand on #259 and 6 bolt stand on DL's

The tail plate on the DL's can be plain or with graphics . Graphics can be seen in the Picture plate thread with type on the tail plates that also ID the reels................... http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12512.0

The Deluxe reels are built stronger than the #259.  Hope this helps .

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

txangler81

Thank you that is precisely what I was wanting to know